cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should I use CC so it doesn't close?

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

How often should I use CC so it doesn't close?

Hi all,

I just opened accounts with Amazon & JC Penny (JC is already reporting and it's only been a week!), and I was wondering how often do I have to use these cards to keep them from closing due to inactivity? I don't really plan on buying anything any time soon, but I'd like the TLs to remain open to help rebuild my credit. 

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

Re: How often should I use CC so it doesn't close?

at least once ever couple of months just to be safe. Transaction here, here transaction there. Some people put say Netflix monthly bill on the account and run $10 a month through the card. Then have auto pay set up to PIF every month. 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Jon85 wrote:

Hi all,

I just opened accounts with Amazon & JC Penny (JC is already reporting and it's only been a week!), and I was wondering how often do I have to use these cards to keep them from closing due to inactivity? I don't really plan on buying anything any time soon, but I'd like the TLs to remain open to help rebuild my credit. 

since you are talking about store cards they will remain open a lot longer without closing for inactivity but they can stop reporting if they go inactive even though they remain open so I would say once every 6 months... However if you want to build your credit and build history and CL with GE you will need statements to generate to be able to get CLI "usually"

Message 3 of 6
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Jon85 wrote:

Hi all,

since you are talking about store cards they will remain open a lot longer without closing for inactivity but they can stop reporting if they go inactive even though they remain open so I would say once every 6 months... However if you want to build your credit and build history and CL with GE you will need statements to generate to be able to get CLI "usually"

I have had JC Penney account since 2001. Never used it from 2003-2007. GECRB took over after and now, my last usage was May 2013. Like creditaddict implied, looks like they don't generate statements with/when $0 balance, so my last statement indicates today as July 13. They have not closed my account due to inactivity. However, my Macys and Abercrombie got closed by them for inactivity of 5 years or so. (happened in 2007). Again it depends on the creditors. However, if you don't bug them, they may leave you alone. (like it was with my other store cards). I like what creditaddict said, 6 months is a good rule, to be on the safe side.

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 4 of 6
Peter1142
Established Contributor

I have two Citi store cards that I haven't used recently. They don't cut statements but still report "OK" every month. I hope they don't close them, the zero balance is great for FICO. But I am not going to go buy something I don't want or need.
Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

As always: verify directly with your creditors as it varies.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.