Super Contributor
concorduser

How often should I use the cards?

I have several tradelines and I can not spend on all of them to keep every one happy. How often should I each card to keep them active? Once every 3 months is it ok? How often do you use the cards you dont have much use for?
Valued Contributor
athensguy

Re: How often should I use the cards?

concorduser wrote:
I have several tradelines and I can not spend on all of them to keep every one happy. How often should I each card to keep them active? Once every 3 months is it ok? How often do you use the cards you dont have much use for?
Some places are giving AA for low usage, even if you do make token purchases every month or two.
Moderator Emerita
LilMirth

Concord,

I think it might vary, to some degree, by card issuer. I think some will be more tolerant of long layoffs, while others-- not so much. Which ones are you concerned about, specifically?

I guess, as a general rule, don't go longer than three months. Although, some might not be that tolerant even. I'm guessing that you've already utilized all of the monthly recurring bills and contributions (utilities, insurance, cell phone(s), charitable donations, membership fees, subscriptions, etc...) that you could use to stick on the cards for activity? 

-------------------------------------------

Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources

"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Established Contributor
Pappy214

It depends on the issuer. I know people with store cards that go six months to a year without using them and they actually recieve CLI's. I would never go more than a month or two with any HSBC product from what I have read though. I use my HSBC/Orchard every month. :smileywink:

"Evacuate, in our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances."
Regular Contributor
pez478

Lately I've had this problem too. I pulled my EQ yesterday and got a pretty big ding for having 6 of 11 accounts report a balance. So I need to have only a couple CCs report, yet I need to use them all. Paying them all off before the statement drops is getting to be too much juggling for me. I don't want to threadjack, but does anyone know how these issuers handle some SD time?

HSBC Best Buy (I know I need to do this every 3 months)

Chase

BoA

Citi

USBank (I think they're fine with a long hiatus)

Kohl's

BP

Starting Score: EQ 749 TU 751
Current Score: EQ 758 TU 776
Goal Score: 780

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}