cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should you get your FICO scores when building credit?

tag
NICKI183
Established Contributor

How often should you get your FICO scores when building credit?

As some of you know, I am fairly new to the board but have had a lot of fun obtaining new credit cards.
I know that my appitiis will catch up to me on my CRA's, but I think with the Kay ($5k) and Macy's ($1k) that will help with available utility. {still no word from HOOTERS applied on 2/29.  not even a denial yet}

Anyway, I want to know how often should I request my numbers.  I received my first numbers on Feb26 and second on March 5 (too soon).

I will have a few (6) delinquents coming off in July.  When should I request another peek-aboo.  I know I have to pay for it.

Checking to see the changes in my scores is getting costly and addictive.

Feedback on when to check would be nice.

Thanks
Starting Score: 555/567/570- Aug 2017 (TU)646 (EQ) 626, (EX) 635-Goa 750l: UPDATE 2021 (TU) 623, (EQ) 584, (EXP) 598 Current VISA-MC-Amex Credit Cards |NFCU-CashReward-$2k|USSA Visa- $500lAmex USAA-secured Merrick-$1,900ll Amex Delta Sky Miles- $1k
, |Nordstrom-$2100|Neiman Marcus-$700|Credit One Bank $850/$500 / Capital One Journey $700/ Capital One Quicksilver One $1650/Target $600/KohlsStore $300/Personal Loans $14k
Garden Until 2/2022 removing all 18 collection baddies and decrease UTILto less than 5%
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: How often should you get your FICO scores when building credit?

I suggest using a FAKO score monitoring like TrueCredit or another company, and then only pulling your FICO when ready to "pull the trigger" on a big purchase.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 2 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ngerasimatos wrote:

I suggest using a FAKO score monitoring like TrueCredit or another company, and then only pulling your FICO when ready to "pull the trigger" on a big purchase.

For the sake of any new members reading this, I would just add that I would call it "report monitoring" rather than "FAKO score monitoring." My TrueCredit FAKO's wander drunkenly around, rarely paralleling my FICO's, but my TrueCredit reports let me know exactly when it's a good time to cough up $$$ for my FICO scores. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 4
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

I use truecredit for my reports everyday...scorewatch for my eq..and I pull all three fico's every month.. Big changes happen when you are in the middle of fixing your cr..I went from a 607-652 OVERNIGHT so that was huge and I would not have known if I didnt buy a fico score. I use the promo codes every month to purchase all three.  Oh I also have identity theft deluxe that gives me a full TU report and score every quarter... yes I am obsessed! But now that I cleaned up my cr I will prolly slow down now..yeah right!Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.