cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often will PayPal Credit increase limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How often will PayPal Credit increase limit?

I have a PayPal Credit account that I've had for a number of years and last month I made a purchase over the limit, with the hope that Paypal would finally increase the limit to cover it. They did approve the increase, so I went from $800 to $1,269, and once I saw the new limit post on the account, I took the item back. How often does PayPal Credit increase the limit when doing it this way? My other Comenity cards increase with the luv button every month, but I don't want to push them if it definitely won't happen.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: How often will PayPal Credit increase limit?

Paypal is now Synchrony bank.  Try calling credit solutions

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meanmchine wrote:

Paypal is now Synchrony bank.  Try calling credit solutions

Thanks, but I'm asking about the Paypal Credit product which is backed by Comenity, not the Paypay Smart Connect or MC which are backed by Synchrony. Also, the last time  I called CS, they didn't seem to know a lot about the CLI details.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I certainly wouldn't keep buying and then returning items just to get a CLI.  Comenity will catch on eventually and stop giving you increases or worse.  Regulars CLIs on PP credit are hit and miss and they won't always approve purchases over your existing limit.  Much of that is based on your credit and income.

Message 4 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I'm with Irish on this. I feel like you would be tempting bad fate if you kept doing it. This may be the first time I heard this being considered as an actual strategy for continied CLI's. Play it safe and maybe call them to get more insight.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Im not sure but as a data point for you i believe i've had my account for about a year and just yesterday received my first cli, $1000 on top of my limit of 592. I did recently pay off entire balance but before doing so would buy various things on ebay and basically making monthly payments. I hope with time and great payment record i will continue to get some auto luvSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 13
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

The way Comenity has been, I wouldn't tempt fate....you just might start having accounts closed.

Message 7 of 13
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

Most of my Paypal credit increases came from pushing the limit and seeing if a purchase would be approved. I was denied more than once but they havent denied me in over a year now. 

Started at $1500 and now at $4420. I had it maxed at $3750 recently and when I got my $5K bonus check from work I paid it off in full and in the next day or two it had increased  automatically to $4420. 

Looks like it combination of pushing the limit, utilization and a good payment history + paying it down. 

Just yesterday I decided to apply for a MacMall account (same lender as paypal credit) just to see since I was obviously in their good graces, approved for $5K. A year ago when my paypal credit was maxed they denied for macmall account so keeping it maxed is a bad idea. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I certainly wouldn't keep buying and then returning items just to get a CLI.  Comenity will catch on eventually and stop giving you increases or worse.  Regulars CLIs on PP credit are hit and miss and they won't always approve purchases over your existing limit.  Much of that is based on your credit and income.

Thanks for the info, and I absolutely agree, I don't want to just buy/return items to push the limit. The test I did was mainly to see if they would even consider increasing the limit. I had attempted to buy over the limit in March, and the rejected it based on a score they pulled from October 2015, so I wanted to see if they had done an AR and would even increase it at all.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I may just call again. I know CS can be very hit or miss on policy unfortunately.  And yes, I def don't want to tempt fate, Comenity has been VERY good to me post BK, just the very fact that I still have my cards is almost a miracle.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.