cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How quick can I "rapid fire" these credit cards?

tag
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Re: How quick can I "rapid fire" these credit cards?

If you're only going for the Amazon Visa for holiday shopping, I would wait because the Discover IT (which you shouldn't have trouble converting your More too) will give you 5% back on ALL online shopping including on Amazon and at department stores during the 4th quarter of this year (Oct-Dec).  

Message 11 of 16
yfan
Valued Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

If you're only going for the Amazon Visa for holiday shopping, I would wait because the Discover IT (which you shouldn't have trouble converting your More too) will give you 5% back on ALL online shopping including on Amazon and at department stores.  

Yes, but being approved for the Amazon Visa will also give her a $30 Amazon gift card, which she can use even after the holiday season (or during, if she prefers). Who knows when they will snatch that away.

Message 12 of 16
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@celluloid17 wrote:

If you're only going for the Amazon Visa for holiday shopping, I would wait because the Discover IT (which you shouldn't have trouble converting your More too) will give you 5% back on ALL online shopping including on Amazon and at department stores.  

Yes, but being approved for the Amazon Visa will also give her a $30 Amazon gift card, which she can use even after the holiday season (or during, if she prefers). Who knows when they will snatch that away.

That is an enticing sign-up offer, but there are other options such as the rightfully beloved Sallie Mae MasterCard.

The Amazon rewards Visa gives you 3% back on Amazon purchases, while the Sallie Mae card will give you 5% back on bookstore purchases up to $750 a month, which they code Amazon as.  Also, the Amazon Visa gives only 2% back on gas, whereas the Sallie Mae card will give you 5% back on that category up to $250 every month. Plus, after making your first purchase, you get a $25 statement credit.

I realize the $50 trumps a $25 sign-up bonus, but in the long run, the Sallie Mae card may be a better option to use a HP on.

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off, Im a dude. I keep hearing about this sallie mae card, Im guessing its easy to get? since its geared towards students?

Yeah this card sounds better than the amazon and IT card combined! Whats the negatives?

Message 14 of 16
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First off, Im a dude. I keep hearing about this sallie mae card, Im guessing its easy to get? since its geared towards students?

Yeah this card sounds better than the amazon and IT card combined! Whats the negatives?

There are very few, if any, drawbacks!  

The only thing that can be problematic for some is the monthly spending caps to earn 5% are a bit low, but I find it's perfect for a single person ($250 for gas and $250 for groceries).

I'm not one to speak on how easy it is to get approved or not, but my scores were similar to yours and I was approved this past February with a nice CL and their best APR.  

Best part is that the rewards are really easy to earn and redeem and their website is stellar.

The only thing to be a bit leary of (and the jury is still out on its validity) is that Barclays (this issuing bank) gets a bit spooked by seeing lots of inquiries on your credit reports before and after apping for this card (up to 6 months), so you may want to lay low a bit and not go app crazy following an approval for this card.  

YMMV = your mileage may vary

Best of luck!Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 16
yfan
Valued Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

That is an enticing sign-up offer, but there are other options such as the rightfully beloved Sallie Mae MasterCard.

The Amazon rewards Visa gives you 3% back on Amazon purchases, while the Sallie Mae card will give you 5% back on bookstore purchases up to $750 a month, which they code Amazon as.  Also, the Amazon Visa gives only 2% back on gas, whereas the Sallie Mae card will give you 5% back on that category up to $250 every month. Plus, after making your first purchase, you get a $25 statement credit.

I realize the $50 trumps a $25 sign-up bonus, but in the long run, the Sallie Mae card may be a better option to use a HP on.

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

Oh I'm not saying that the Amazon Visa is the best card for Amazon. In fact, if I still did a significant amount of shopping on Amazon, I'd app for the Sallie Mae card. But since I dumped Amazon Prime after they jacked up the price, I have used Amazon less and less. I use ShopDiscover (where there are some great deals), often in conjunction with Shoprunner for free 2-day shipping - for which I have a complimentary membership due to my Amex card. Gas - Costco. Grocery - Costco.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.