cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How quickly can I upgrade Zync to Platinum or add another Amex charge (Green)

tag
Alcibiades
Contributor

How quickly can I upgrade Zync to Platinum or add another Amex charge (Green)

I recently got and have been using my Amex Zync card, but I am concerned about the rewards. Zync gives Membership Rewards Express, not Membership Rewards, so I cant transfer to accounts like Delta Skymiles. I like the packs Zync offers, but I would prefer Membership Rewards points. It looks like i have two options:

1) Try to upgrade the Zync to Gold or Platinum

2) Get a green card and "link" the two cards so I get proper Membership Rewards for Zync spending. I would effectively sock drawer the Green.

The question is I was approved for the Zync about two weeks ago. How long should I wait to go with one of these two options? I want to make sure I don't trigger a financial review from Amex or anything (though those seem to be connected most to revolving accounts, I have no interest in an Amex revolving card, only charge cards). Is it a "soft pull?" Will recent inquiries (including the Zync application) be worrisome to Amex?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How quickly can I upgrade Zync to Platinum or add another Amex charge (Green)

I called Amex three months ago to try to get my gold upgraded to a gold PR.  They said  had to have had the account for one year before I was eligible for an upgrade.  You can however apply for the Platinum but upgrades on an account less than 12 months old are "no dice" according to what I was told.

Message 2 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: How quickly can I upgrade Zync to Platinum or add another Amex charge (Green)

I don't know a lot about the Zync, but I thought I read on here that it wasn't eligible to upgrade to the other charge accounts, that you had to apply for a new account.  I also thought that the timeframe was that an account had to be open 13 months before it could be upgraded.  I'm sure someone else will confirm or give you better info if I am mistaken.

Another thing to consider, if you don't have any immediate point transfers in mind, you could accumulate the MR Express points and wait to add the Green, Gold, or Platinum.  So you could continue to pay the lower AF for a while and only add the other card when you want to transfer the points.  Of course, that doesn't give you as much flexibility if something comes up where you want to immediately transfer points. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
jj10939
Regular Contributor

When I called last week to see about getting my AMEX Gold PR coverted to the Platinum, she told me that my account had to be open for 6 months before I was eligable for the Platinum.  She did, however, tell me that I could convert to the Zync right away which I thought was odd.

Message 4 of 7
chan85
Established Contributor

Can somebody please clarify the diff between membership rewards and membership rewards express?? I have the zync and enjoy the points I have earned but I have read several posts of people complaining about the rewards express option so I must be missing out on something good lol

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 5 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@chan85 wrote:

Can somebody please clarify the diff between membership rewards and membership rewards express?? I have the zync and enjoy the points I have earned but I have read several posts of people complaining about the rewards express option so I must be missing out on something good lol

MR Express points can't be transferred to frequent flier programs or hotel points.  Your best redemption option is for gift cards at a rate of $0.01 per point. 

Regular MR points can be transferred to frequent flier miles or hotel points (though the hotel point transfers aren't generally a good idea).  The best value of MR points is for transferring to frequent flier miles and redeeming for travel.  It's a bit more complicated to value the points then, but you can get a lot better than 1 cent per point.  Especially if you redeem for last minute domestic travel or international business class. 

As an example, you could fly to Europe business class for 100K miles.  There are often bonus points awareded on transfer.  BA had a 40% transfer bonus recently.  Using that transfer bonus, you would have had to transfer 72K points to get 100K miles.  Depending on how you place your spend (using various bonus categories), you'd spend considerably less than $72K to get 72K MR points.  But even assuming you only got 1 MR point for $1 spent, it would take $72K spend for that redemption.  An international business class ticket can easily cost $6K.  So, $72K spend gets you a $6K airline ticket.  Or, redeeming for gift cards, $72K spend gets you $720 in gift cards. 

There's some other wrinkles in there.  For example, for the ticket you still have to pay taxes and fees, and you don't earn miles on an award ticket whereas you would be earning miles if you bought the ticket, etc.  Also, you probably would never spend the full $6K for the fare if you were spending your money.  But you get the idea.  Instead of redeeming for giftcards, you could take a vacation and fly upfront.  Depends on how you value that.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
chan85
Established Contributor

WOW ok thanks for that! Luckily I don't travel enough for it to really make a difference, but when I do start to travle on a regular, I know to look at another card option!!

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.