cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How reliable is the 5/24 rule for Chase branded cards?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: How reliable is the 5/24 rule for Chase branded cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

wow, I had no idea about this rule... I guess I won't be getting any Chase cards for the next 2 years, lol.

Well, you would only be required to wait for the Freedom or CSP.  Given the caps, the former isn't a great loss (easily interchangeable with Discover & Cash+), while the latter is only meaningful for churning.  At this point, anyone who finds the CSP valuable already has it and continues to have it; conversely, those who didn't find the fee worthwhile, has already closed it.

Now, the *only* probable CSP applicants are those who (1) were in the dark for 5 years and just getting into travel rewards cards, or (2) churners looking to fleece them for another 40K UR or $400.

The 5/24 makes perfect sense, at least for the CSP.  If it were me, I'd have implemented this sooner, especially for a consumer card.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

wow, I had no idea about this rule... I guess I won't be getting any Chase cards for the next 2 years, lol.

It doesn't apply to all Chase cards.  The vast majority of their cards are co branded and are not under the 'rule'. It's only the CSP and Freedom that get denied because of it.  The rest are readily available if your credit is sufficient.  I'll give you an example.  Back in May, my g/f applied for the CSP with scores in the 750s and was instantly denied. Called three times on recon (and I even talked to the analyst on one occasion).  This was before I was completely aware of the new rule and each ans,yet referenced the chance.  The last one told her you should really apply for one of our co branded cards and you'll probably be approved.  Sure enough, she hung up, applied for the Marriott and was instantly approved with a limit of $18,000.

Message 22 of 27
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It doesn't apply to all Chase cards.  The vast majority of their cards are co branded and are not under the 'rule'. It's only the CSP and Freedom that get denied because of it.  The rest are readily available if your credit is sufficient.  I'll give you an example.  Back in May, my g/f applied for the CSP with scores in the 750s and was instantly denied. Called three times on recon (and I even talked to the analyst on one occasion).  This was before I was completely aware of the new rule and each ans,yet referenced the chance.  The last one told her you should really apply for one of our co branded cards and you'll probably be approved.  Sure enough, she hung up, applied for the Marriott and was instantly approved with a limit of $18,000.

Right, one Analyst (who was really a professional and amiable person) tried everything to override the system, but to avail.  The Analyst, after offering some insights on the implementation of the new rule, encouraged me to app again after a "certain" amount of time has passed.  

This is one reason why it's better to take advantage of these offers while they exist.  Given that we're likely in the middle to late innings of the bonus-rewards game, terms and offers here on out will only be nerfed, not better.  To wit.  Amex's purging backdating (single biggest CC benefit of any Issuer) & once per lifetime consumer, Chases 5/24, and Citi's 18 month bonus rule.  Even a couple of years ago, with good CRAs, a person could have harvested up to 500K points in the aforementioned 3 Issuers with very little effort.

There aren't many truisms in life, but "one who hesitates, loses" is certainly one of them, in my view.  Now, it's all gone.

Message 23 of 27
red259
Super Contributor

@njacks85 wrote:
I was just approved last night for a Chase Freedom with a limit of 4.5k with a pre approval mailer. I have had 9 new credit card accounts opened in the past 18 months.
First credit card ever was June 2014.

Were any of those cards you have a chase personal UR card?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 24 of 27
njacks85

No. The Freedom was my first Chase card.
Message 25 of 27
red259
Super Contributor

@njacks85 wrote:
No. The Freedom was my first Chase card.

That is likely why. I do not believe chase applies the 5/24 rule to people who do not have a chase card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was recently denied a Chase Slate. The denial reason specifically, and only cited the 5/24 reason. I have both checking and savings accounts with Chase.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.