cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How reliable is the 5/24 rule for Chase branded cards?

tag
njacks85

Re: How reliable is the 5/24 rule for Chase branded cards?

I was just approved last night for a Chase Freedom with a limit of 4.5k with a pre approval mailer. I have had 9 new credit card accounts opened in the past 18 months.
First credit card ever was June 2014.
Message 11 of 27
elim
Senior Contributor

@njacks85 wrote:
I was just approved last night for a Chase Freedom with a limit of 4.5k with a pre approval mailer. I have had 9 new credit card accounts opened in the past 18 months.
First credit card ever was June 2014.

maybe a mailer makes a difference?  i can only guess.   thanks for the input, every little bit helps    :]

congrats on the card!  

Message 12 of 27
njacks85

Maybe? I even checked online and had no offer show up but I went ahead and tried anyways.

I don't have stellar credit and even have 3 serious delinquencies too, granted they are paid, but still delinquent account. I've saw on the boards people saying they will deny the application if you have a serious delinquent account.
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on your credit profile, there's a lot of people that supports the theory  of the 5/24,  I was one of the "lucky" ones that was able to bypass the rule with a lot more than 5 accounts open in the past 2 years.

I've been living on the US for the past 2 years,  my oldest CL is 2 years, my Fico was about 720, Util was low.

card

chase

Message 14 of 27
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

5/24 is in effect. Even though I have a Freedom, I could not get pre qualed at Chase, until my 5th account aged over 2 years

Message 15 of 27
myscorerocks
Regular Contributor

This is why I started this conversation. While I believe the 5/24 rule exists, I think there are exceptions. I applied for a Chase card months ago and was denied, but not due to how many cards I had recently opened. My student loans were being rehabbed. They told me to apply again in 6 months. I've opened 11 cards in the past year, but my accounts are averaging 81 months. I think I'll be the guinea pig because I really want a Chase card!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/OMG-OMG-OMG-CHASE/td-p/4327688

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suspect a lot of 5/24 "exceptions" have to do with new cards that are recent enough to not show on credit reports yet. There can be a significant lag time there, since they're (purportedly) denying based on new accounts rather than inquiries.
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myscorerocks wrote:

This is why I started this conversation. While I believe the 5/24 rule exists, I think there are exceptions. I applied for a Chase card months ago and was denied, but not due to how many cards I had recently opened. My student loans were being rehabbed. They told me to apply again in 6 months. I've opened 11 cards in the past year, but my accounts are averaging 81 months. I think I'll be the guinea pig because I really want a Chase card!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/OMG-OMG-OMG-CHASE/td-p/4327688

The approval in the link is for the Slate which has been mentioned as being one that seems to be available despite the rule.  Not sure what previous card you applied for but if it wasnt the CSP or Freedom they wouldn't mention the rule as it doesn't apply to their co branded cards.  Additionally they don't always provide every reason for a denial. What card are you going to apply for?  If it's either of those 2, be prepared for a decline but if you have a HP to waste, guess it's worth the try.  Good luck.

Message 18 of 27
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The approval in the link is for the Slate which has been mentioned as being one that seems to be available despite the rule.  Not sure what previous card you applied for but if it wasnt the CSP or Freedom they wouldn't mention the rule as it doesn't apply to their co branded cards.  Additionally they don't always provide every reason for a denial. What card are you going to apply for?  If it's either of those 2, be prepared for a decline but if you have a HP to waste, guess it's worth the try.  Good luck.

Right, the 5/24 applies only to Chase branded UR based consumer cards; in this case, this applies to only two cards, the Freedom and CSP.  From my understanding and a coversation with several of their analysts, after a certain number of new accounts (could be 5, or more), the system won't allow the Analysts to override for an approval, which they were able to in the past, and still may for any of their other cards, inculding the Inks.

With the recent UR devaluation and its $95 fee, this rule most assuredly makes sense for the CSP, especially in light of the newly improved PRG.  In its current state, the CSP just, not unlike the PRG, just screams "churn me," especially since URs confer a full 1:1 cash equivalent conversion.

As to the Freedom, not sure why the rule applies here.  I can't imagine anyone bothering to churn this card.

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow, I had no idea about this rule... I guess I won't be getting any Chase cards for the next 2 years, lol.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.