Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I pay down my cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How should I pay down my cards?

There's some great advice in this thread. I agree with paying down, requesting CLI and SD what you aren't going to use. Consider getting a shared/secured loan if you don't already have an installment reporting. You are going to need to be disciplined and conscious of your spending to hit 700 when you're wanting.
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys! I'll follow your advice. And yes, I do have the car loan reporting on my credit right now which helps as well.
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off the 2 small balances, no need to carry those small balances paying that outrageous%
Preventing HALF a $100 more dollars from zeroing out 2 more small ($200) balance cards... That's 4 payments gone right there

Trick is to NOT run them up again, allowing the low utilization to further bump the score such that you can apply for a small $1500 PL with a Fixed Rate of % to take care of this nonsense w/o swimming in revolving B.S. %

Also ask for any SP cli you can get, simply to add utilization space again the 'pretty up' your profile to secure that PL or even a small LOC works

Not a CC app has you might not get a CL big enough but as far as PL $1500 is very small and all you need

Don't​ make the mistake of flipping out if the quoted rate 'looks' high...Whatever it's the amount you pay in DOLLARS that matter
A Fixed Rate gives you control, you see the Max you'd pay IF you kept the loan out the entire time but it's not your plan to sit back and actually take 24-36 months to pay it off you just
A) Want it OFF those revolving cards so the debt load STOPS growing, thus giving you room the ATTACK the debt in a meaningful way w/o it continuing morphing in size
B) Having all that debt of the CC helps the utilization, which of course helps your profile look better, which will lead to a better refi loan for the car note

*Please DON'T let the marketers STEAL all this 💰 from you over and over again
Don't chase 'cash back' on higher priced Exxon gas when you can't pay off your balances and wind up actually paying MORE 'because' of chasing rewards

It's a 'racket'

Lots of the things the marketers are TRAINING new to credit ppl to do is actually AIMED at more sophisticated mature card users NOT for new to the game BUILDERS but just like youngsters getting the liquor cabinet drinking ish they have no business drinking, get OUT of the mature credit game when you have baby CLs and not enough history to warrant playing at that speed.

Yes, these creditors will allow you to continue to shoot yourself slowly in the foot with these low level CLs and high as death march % rates driving right towards Bk and or just 'best' I can living'

Don't fall for the banana in the tail pipe

Chill out on card usage, don't apply for anymore cards allow these stuff to age, work on your budgeting, grow an emergency fund actually 2 emergency funds , one real emergency fund and a mini emergency ( quick cash fund) so life doesn't = hand to mouth as your 'normal'

It will only happen if you take CONTROL of this ish Now while the numbers are relatively small and manageable...Add a few more zeros and you're eff'd up for years behind nonsense like these

Take this as a thank goodness wake up call

You've got plenty of accounts let TIME do it's Magic for you
Btw once you secure your loan put that Credit One in a wood chipper

Best of Luck
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.