cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon can i get a second crdit card?

tag
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: How soon can i get a second crdit card?

You can get another secured card now if you want.  A better plan is to wait another month and see if you have a credit score.  Then apply for a unsecured card.

Message 11 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

Actually..if you go read my extremely long thread (lol) you'll see that I just applied for Cap1 MC, got approved and then 3 days later applied for the Discover More and got approved. I also just got approved for the Amazon store card last week....so honestly I think it really depends on your CR and scores. I have no baddies and my scores are in the mid 600's.

BUT

I ONLY HAVE 3 MONTHS HISTORY!! And with crap First Premier.    Depending on what CC you want, I'd say go for it....just dont app for Chase like I did and get denied. lol. They want the history

Doesn't it take 6 months to get a credit score? Have you had credit of any kind in the past?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 12 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@adavis425 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

I would just apply for a second card now. Go for a GE store card of some sort (whatever store you happen to shop at a lot). 

+1

How quickly can you fill out an app? Smiley Tongue

No, you need to wait until your card reports for the 6th time.

? Where did you hear that? 

If he only has one card, he needs to wait until he has a history established with that card. A minimum of 6 months is required, but generally 1 year is better. He should be able to get another toy limit card at the 6 month point. I would recommend applying for a basic card with your bank at that point.

Also, the INQ from the first card will have less impact at that point.

I started my apps in February 2012 after my first card had reported for the 6th time and I had established a credit score.

You need to wait 6 months in order to establish a FICO score, not in order to app for another card. You can app whenever you want. Store cards are recommended for those starting out their credit journey, as they don't have very strict UW requirements. While waiting 6 months is ideal since by then your chances of getting a card are a lot higher (provided you didn't incur and lates on your original card) it isn't a requirement. I do get where you're coming from though Smiley Very Happy 

Edit: Just reread OP, I would wait the extra month till you hit 6 since you're already at 5 months. I sped through the OP originally and thought OP has just gotten his first card. +1 to dustink

And I shouldn't have said "need" more like "should". Sorry about that.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 13 of 37
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@Sitori wrote:

Actually..if you go read my extremely long thread (lol) you'll see that I just applied for Cap1 MC, got approved and then 3 days later applied for the Discover More and got approved. I also just got approved for the Amazon store card last week....so honestly I think it really depends on your CR and scores. I have no baddies and my scores are in the mid 600's.

BUT

I ONLY HAVE 3 MONTHS HISTORY!! And with crap First Premier.    Depending on what CC you want, I'd say go for it....just dont app for Chase like I did and get denied. lol. They want the history

Doesn't it take 6 months to get a credit score? Have you had credit of any kind in the past?

No..the only thing I had was student loans that I was paying on for a couple of years but have been in deferrment since I'm back in school. The only credit I had was a FP card that I signed up with in July with a $300 limit.  When I got my report pulled all my scores where in the mid 600's at the time that I got the FP card. Sooo.. Not sure....  ??  lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 14 of 37
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@Sitori wrote:

BUT

No..the only thing I had was student loans that I was paying on for a couple of years but have been in deferrment since I'm back in school. The only credit I had was a FP card that I signed up with in July with a $300 limit.  When I got my report pulled all my scores where in the mid 600's at the time that I got the FP card. Sooo.. Not sure....  ??  lol

Student loans count for the 6 month rule. It is still credit history, just installment as opposed to revolving. My student loans are in deferrment now (still in school) and I got a score before I even applied for a card. 

Message 15 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

@Sitori wrote:

BUT

So your length of credit is actually a few years because of the student loans.

I got my credit score in February 2012. Since then I have got the cards in my signature, other than the US Bank college visa which I used to get my credit score.

So simply put, this person should just wait the month until they hit the 6 month point. At that time they can get some okay cards. This month they need to get their card to report a balance between $5-$45.

Message 16 of 37
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

Oh got it....Well some CC companies argued my "what about my student loan" statements when I was apping...  "No those dont count"  

I guess not for applying for credit? They only count to give you a score? lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 17 of 37
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

Oh got it....Well some CC companies argued my "what about my student loan" statements when I was apping...  "No those dont count"  

Student loans aren't a revolving account, they are an installment account. They're different. Smiley Tongue 

Message 18 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Sitori wrote:

They gave you a score and allowed you to get the cards you got. But yes, they alone will not allow you to get approved for prime accounts.

Message 19 of 37
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

sigh....I'm studying the 206 bones of the body, the nerves and the 700+ muscles in the body, and figuring out how credit works is harder....something is wrong with this picture.

EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.