cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon can you move limits with Chase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How soon can you move limits with Chase?

I got a Freedom and Slate about a month ago and after taking a look at my whole portfolio I'm realizing my app spree netted me more than I need. I'm considering transfering my 2.5k Freedom limit to my Slate and cancelling the card. How soon does Chase allow this?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: How soon can you move limits with Chase?

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a Freedom and Slate about a month ago and after taking a look at my whole portfolio I'm realizing my app spree netted me more than I need. I'm considering transfering my 2.5k Freedom limit to my Slate and cancelling the card. How soon does Chase allow this?

In my experience they allow it pretty much right away. There's no real timeframe for it unless something has changed. You may have to forego $500 on the Freedom -- some reps from Chase tell you you can't move the whole limit unless the card has been not used for the past 30 days. YMMV, but you can definitely move at least all but $500 to the Slate and close the Freedom.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In my experience they allow it pretty much right away. There's no real timeframe for it unless something has changed. You may have to forego $500 on the Freedom -- some reps from Chase tell you you can't move the whole limit unless the card has been not used for the past 30 days. YMMV, but you can definitely move at least all but $500 to the Slate and close the Freedom.

Yeah I'll have to consider that as an option. If they tell me I have to keep $500 I'll just wait 30 days and get the full amount. I'm not in a hurry or anything but I kinda went overboard on apps, and since I didn't get any denials, well... I ended up with a lot of cards and I'm finding it hard to spread my spend between them. Looking at it now I prefer to put all my spend on a few cards.

Message 3 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I'll have to consider that as an option. If they tell me I have to keep $500 I'll just wait 30 days and get the full amount. I'm not in a hurry or anything but I kinda went overboard on apps, and since I didn't get any denials, well... I ended up with a lot of cards and I'm finding it hard to spread my spend between them. Looking at it now I prefer to put all my spend on a few cards.

I totally agree. I hate ending up with $10 in rewards spread on many cards. I think putting spend on less cards is certainly the way to go for me.

I assume you are closing Freedom because you find it redundant with your Discover? That's how I felt when I had the Freedom

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I totally agree. I hate ending up with $10 in rewards spread on many cards. I think putting spend on less cards is certainly the way to go for me.

I assume you are closing Freedom because you find it redundant with your Discover? That's how I felt when I had the Freedom

Yeah I got the Freedom to get in with Chase but soon realized I wanted a slate for the FICO dashboard, and well it's a BT card if I need it. Grabbed that and realized with all the cards I already have the Freedom doesn't offer me anything I can't get with one of my other cards. Don't get me wrong the Freedom is a good card but when you have many other cards that overlap and cover all these categories it gets redundant. I'm currently looking at my portfolio and seeing what I'm actually going to use daily or weekly even, and anything that doesn't fit in I will likely end up trying to consolidate.

Also I don't know if it's just me but I feel like I have more breathing room having one 4.5k Chase card as oppsed to a couple 2k's. Is that just me?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah I got the Freedom to get in with Chase but soon realized I wanted a slate for the FICO dashboard, and well it's a BT card if I need it. Grabbed that and realized with all the cards I already have the Freedom doesn't offer me anything I can't get with one of my other cards. Don't get me wrong the Freedom is a good card but when you have many other cards that overlap and cover all these categories it gets redundant. I'm currently looking at my portfolio and seeing what I'm actually going to use daily or weekly even, and anything that doesn't fit in I will likely end up trying to consolidate.

Also I don't know if it's just me but I feel like I have more breathing room having one 4.5k Chase card as oppsed to a couple 2k's. Is that just me?

I agree...much rather have the larger limit than limits spread over many cards. I may move all my credit to the Sapphire Preferred in October after the 5% gas goes away. I may PC my Sapphire (because of the lower APR, for principle as it is lower on the Sapphire than the current Freedom, and I PIF) to the Freedom next year in May or see about a regular Sapphire. Who knows as things change all the time.

Message 6 of 8
bigbang91
Established Contributor

The freedom has no AF. Why dont you just SD it instead of closing it rightaway. Chase may think you app for the card just for sign up bonus, i certainly dont want to get on their bad side

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am told by a banker at Chase that the best time to close and move limits is 6 months on a new card to be safe.  But the choice is always up to you but I not move limits immediately after getting a card with chase.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.