Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon do you use your new cc?

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Re: How soon do you use your new cc?

I am going to wait until tomorrow to use my new freedom card..gonna pay a couple bills so I can start getting credit towards the 500.00 to get 100.00 cash back....that is for any charge right?
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 11 of 26
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I use mine within first day I get it. The sooner used the sooner it can start reporting and generate a bill. Like tonight, I got my NFCU flagship. I activated it and then charge $25 to charity for Sandy storm recovery and then bought dinner for me and brother on it. Over next 30 days ill push about 1k though ad PIF right before statement generates.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 26
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

The very next time, I buy something.

Message 13 of 26
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:
When I get a new card in, I wait a few weeks before I use it so I don't look desperate....lol But today I just got in my freedom card and am going to use it asap to earn the 100.00 cash back.

I'm just wondering who else strategically plans when to use their card the first time Smiley Happy

when i recently got my newBofA  Americard Cash Rewards card, i used it later that same day ( i wanted to start the $500in  purchases right away to earn the $100 cash back)

with my other cards that didn't have a $pend to get a bonu$ offer, i used them sometime within the 1st week or 2 (that was about 4 years ago)

Message 14 of 26
colindidit
Established Contributor

I usually wait til I pay off other to use a brand new card.. Pointless to create another bill when you already have utilization on another. That being said once I get my Disney visa I'm going to discontinue use of my capital ones on favor of those and just use both my chases now til capital one stops being stingy with their CLIs
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 15 of 26
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1 Yes cap 1 does need to stop being stingy with cli's. Sock drawer they go until then. I will just use my amex.chase. and discover

Message 16 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

As soon as possible Smiley Happy.

I apply for any new card for a specific reason (OK my future USAA one likely excepted) and it's worth moving whatever piece of my financial life that is destined for that card over to it immediately.

I honestly don't think lenders care at all; they have already extended credit, they absolutely want you to use it, and likely even before you receive the card where possible if Amex is any indication for the rest of be industry as another poster intimated too.

        
Message 17 of 26
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:
I am going to wait until tomorrow to use my new freedom card..gonna pay a couple bills so I can start getting credit towards the 500.00 to get 100.00 cash back....that is for any charge right?

Yes, that is for any charge except BT and cash advances.

@ the OP, I used it first week to get my sign-on bonus and PIF before statement cut. Right when the statement cut, I got my bonus on my Freedom card.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 18 of 26
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I use it right away so the ccc sees usage Smiley Happy

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 19 of 26
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I usually put a Starbucks on it the same day...or the next. lol.

Sometimes I wait...and others I have rarely get used.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.