cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon to request upgrade from Amex Blue to BCE?

tag
catladyatty
New Contributor

How soon to request upgrade from Amex Blue to BCE?

I just applied for an Amex Blue on Friday and was approved for $1000.  It's my first Amex card.  I'm aware of the 61 days 3xCLI, but how soon should I wait to request an upgrade from Blue to BCE? 

Chase Sapphire Preferred $35,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Signature $45,000 | Amex BC Preferred $28,000 | Discover More Cash Rewards $12,000 | Chase Amazon Rewards $8600 | Capital One Quicksilver $2000 | CareCredit $12,000 | Macy's $15,000 | Victoria's Secret $5600 | New York and Company $4000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: How soon to request upgrade from Amex Blue to BCE?

@catladyatty wrote:

I just applied for an Amex Blue on Friday and was approved for $1000.  It's my first Amex card.  I'm aware of the 61 days 3xCLI, but how soon should I wait to request an upgrade from Blue to BCE? 

it's not exactly an upgrade. it's more of a product change.

if you wanted the BCE you should have applied for it directly....

Most of the time Amex will require the account to be >13 months before doing any product change.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 6
catladyatty
New Contributor

Yes, I SHOULD have applied for it directly, but it's too late now.  I wasn't familiar with Amex's products until I started researching a few days ago, and clearly I jumped the gun on applying.  I will request a product change after a year or so, I suppose.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $35,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Signature $45,000 | Amex BC Preferred $28,000 | Discover More Cash Rewards $12,000 | Chase Amazon Rewards $8600 | Capital One Quicksilver $2000 | CareCredit $12,000 | Macy's $15,000 | Victoria's Secret $5600 | New York and Company $4000
Message 3 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

try calling them right now.

Sometimes people do get lucky and are able to get a product change before the 1 year mark. Doesn't happen often, but worth a try I suppose.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

@catladyatty wrote:

it's not exactly an upgrade. it's more of a product change.

if you wanted the BCE you should have applied for it directly....

Most of the time Amex will require the account to be >13 months before doing any product change.

+1

Agree - as long as your account is in good standing, you can contact them at that point to see if the account is elegible to PC.

Message 5 of 6
catladyatty
New Contributor

Just called and spoke to customer service.  I can change from Blue to BCE after my first cycle closes.  She instructed me to call back on or after 12-24-13.  I'm glad I asked.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.