cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon too ask for a CLI, with the best results?

tag
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Re: How soon too ask for a CLI, with the best results?

@Luscher wrote:
The same hp will be used for 30 days so feel free to keep trying after that initial pull

As far as you know, is it the same HP per card, or one HP for multiple cards (ie Travel Rewards and Cash Rewards) per 30 days?

Message 11 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

@Luscher wrote:
The same hp will be used for 30 days so feel free to keep trying after that initial pull

As far as you know, is it the same HP per card, or one HP for multiple cards (ie Travel Rewards and Cash Rewards) per 30 days?

IME, doing back to back was one pull, but only the 1st was instantly approved, and the second was "we'll let you know," but it also increased the next day with no attached communication.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is 61 days if you like their last soft pull. Every other prime lender I can think of is 6 months (Discover, Chase, BOA, Barclays). However, if you call, you will get a CSR that says they process them at anytime. That is a half truth. I say half truth, because if you tell them you need a little more of a limit to finance a large purchase (especially before promo interest rate ends) they will approve you. If not it you will get denied, transfered to a credit analyst who will then tell you its 6 months. When the magic 6 month date happens boom. Also, Discover is known to give auto CLI at the three month intervals. 

Yes, I am sure you do love the bonus miles Smiley Wink. Most likely, however if you apply again you will be denied, and even if accepted, you will be ineligable to recieve the same bonus again. Plus, you'll end up dinging your credit history. 

Message 13 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Kenny wrote:
HIGHLY individualized. No one answer on this.

True. Not every card fits a specific need. Not every consumer's file strength, and spend is the same. Use a card, and when you're proven, you get what you want.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:
Use a card, and when you're proven, you get what you want.

Unfortunately this does not apply to all issuers either. Look at Capital One for instance. They are infamous for NOT increasing someone's CL even when accounts have been in good standing for several years. They deny CLI on the phone when you ask and very rarely give you an automatic CLI. I'm a "victim" of their stupid polices myself. The Quicksilver is the oldest card I have (upgraded from the Newcomer card a couple years ago) but the CL is still a lousy $2k while all my newer cards have $5-15k...

Message 15 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately this does not apply to all issuers either. Look at Capital One for instance. They are infamous for NOT increasing someone's CL even when accounts have been in good standing for several years. They deny CLI on the phone when you ask and very rarely give you an automatic CLI. I'm a "victim" of their stupid polices myself. The Quicksilver is the oldest card I have (upgraded from the Newcomer card a couple years ago) but the CL is still a lousy $2k while all my newer cards have $5-15k...

You're not reading me correctly.

I'll dumb it down... Start with whatever card, then apply for what fits your needs, when your income, and file can accommodate.

Message 16 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll dumb it down... Start with whatever card, then apply for what fits your needs, when your income, and file can accommodate.

Please remember to be friendly, supportive, and respectful.

Message 17 of 19
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Please remember to be friendly, supportive, and respectful.

"I'll simplify it

Message 18 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How soon should you ask for a CLI, and what is suggested for the best results.

Best results aren't based on a given timeframe.  It's all about one's credit and income.  If they support a CLI then you'll get one.  If not, it doesn't matter how long one waits.

In other words, CLI's are not simply exchanged for time.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.