Re: How this forum helps and hurts with credit cards

@dalebb wrote:

awww,,, big group hugsSmiley Very Happy

(((((Group Hug))))) Smiley Happy  

Message 31 of 67
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Though it does make applying extremely tempting, this forum has been nothing but good to me.

Someone even dug up a number that got the White Whale killed, LOL! I've got 1 negative account left and it falls off in Sept/Oct.

I just have to garden and apply only when it serves specific credit goals.

Most of my rebuilding was already done before coming here so it's easier to not app. It's probably a lot harder for people who have been getting declined to show restraint when their scores turn around. I really don't need any more cards and have good cards with decent limits.

@Anonymous wrote:

@dalebb wrote:

awww,,, big group hugsSmiley Very Happy

(((((Group Hug))))) Smiley Happy  

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

This forum does make it tempting to apply for cards thats for sure. Smiley Very Happy

I want the capital one venture as well and if I can get approved for that I would feel like a pioneer. The only things I hear about capital one here are about the rebuilder cards. I would be the guinea pig of the forum with a Cap 1 prime product.

I am determined to garden my first card for a full 6 months before apping and I only have 2 months left. Almost there. Actually this forum is not the worst as far as temptation is concerned. The card I want in 2 months is the discover more and I have been getting pre approval mailings for almost the last month and a half from them. I keep telling myself to just put it through the shredder, Discover wants to see at least 6 months of history. So far so good.

Message 33 of 67
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

This forum does make it tempting to app. It's almost like an addiction with our new found improved credit to see how far we can take it. Having said that, MyFico has transformed my credit profile -- and, in turn -- my life. When I found MyFico I already knew I had to pay  my bills on time. What I didn't know was that I could have things removed from my credit report with proper action. This knowledge has lead to two paid collections being deleted from credit reports. A third has fallen off.

I'm still in the cleaning stage of rebuilding but MyFico assisted me in getting approved for a $2000CL through Barclay's. I should be a prime borrower by mid-2012. Without MyFico, I wouldn't be a prime borrower for several years because I'd still have those baddies on my reports (and no Barclay's).

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 34 of 67
dalebb
Valued Contributor

when minds come together and share info, this is how we more forwardSmiley Wink

Message 35 of 67
john398
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This forum does make it tempting to apply for cards thats for sure. Smiley Very Happy

I want the capital one venture as well and if I can get approved for that I would feel like a pioneer. The only things I hear about capital one here are about the rebuilder cards. I would be the guinea pig of the forum with a Cap 1 prime product.

I am determined to garden my first card for a full 6 months before apping and I only have 2 months left. Almost there. Actually this forum is not the worst as far as temptation is concerned. The card I want in 2 months is the discover more and I have been getting pre approval mailings for almost the last month and a half from them. I keep telling myself to just put it through the shredder, Discover wants to see at least 6 months of history. So far so good.

Its weird I thought I wanted a capital one venture but now that I have a Barclay card I think I may toss my capital  one cards soon

Message 36 of 67
CS800
Super Contributor

I would not say that the forum has hurt me in the sense that we are given valuable info but as to how we use this information is our own doing.

We get the knowledge from the threads and the courage from those who have been there before us.

You cannot say that this in itself can or has hurt you since it's up to you to control what you do with the wealth of information. It is tempting to apply and recon but you're doing it on your own. So in this cae i disagree with you respectfully Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 67
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

@JM-AM wrote:

@digitaldiva wrote:

@Carlile92 wrote:
Okay and when are cli available without hard pull lol

CLI increases at anytime...no HPs ever!Smiley Very Happy

This is not always true. Some creditors will do a hard pull each and every time you ask for a CLI. 

JM-AM:

the "no HPs ever" comment was in response to Carlile92's comment about my apology and the recon comment that she posted about me; it wasn't meant to be taken seriously, as I am fully aware that (depending on the creditor) any request for a CLI may result in a HP.  I believe the comments are listed on the first, second, and third pages of this thread...you're more than welcome to re-read it to get the full understanding of why I posted no HPs ever.  Smiley Happy

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 38 of 67
Miguelanski
Established Member

This forum was the best thing that ever happened to my credit (so far) lol

if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have the motivation to fix my credit, the only negative thing I've gotten from this forum is that i'm a FICO junkie. I'm here more than what I am on facebook and sometimes I do get that itch to want to apply for some CC. The only thing controlling me from that itch is my current bad credit, not sure if ill be able to control it though once my credit starts getting better lol.

Starting Score: 536
Current Score: 690
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 39 of 67
dalebb
Valued Contributor

welcome to the forums mig

Message 40 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.