Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Control "The Itch"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to Control "The Itch"

I feel ya. It's tough. I have gone from applying for more cards, to asking for CLIs, which is just as exciting, but without the guilt. It's very tempting. Being on the forums makes it worse. I have a very addictive personality. Although being addicted to having a great credit score which is what I'm more addicted to, is a great addiction. No more gambling, drinking, drugs. :-)
Message 21 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

This post blew up after I fell asleep! Smiley Surprised
And the advice is amazing thank you Heart.

As for the want vs need, more or less... A want for the rewards card, but the travel card is something I'd need.
I travel a fair amount of times from NC to NYC, ( my man's family is up there.) So we go up there for holidays, and sometimes weddings for his friends.Smiley Happy

I haven't pulled my credit report from here yet, but CK says my TU is 676, and EQ at 678.
However, my Discover card just started showing my score and it says 708 Smiley Frustrated

As for the signature, I tried doing it, but I kept getting errors when trying Smiley LOL

Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it to work!
WOOHOO!

Message 23 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone!
I was wondering... How do you curb your itch to apply for really good cards?

I only ask this because I just hit 6months in my credit history; and WABAM!
I am getting offers out of nowhere.

I just signed off of my BoA, and it said " Chelsey, you're preselected!" And there they are.
The shiny unsecured Rewards card, with an online bonus of  $100 when you spend $500.
And the Travel Rewards card, with the 20,000 miles bonus.Smiley Happy

These are two cards that I've wanted to work up to so badly.
But I know that I can't app, I just can't.
I have to build up my history for my car loan that I need Smiley Mad

But oh boy, is the temptation so real right now!

So do anyone of you have any tips, to help this poor newbie restraining themselves very hard right now? Smiley Very Happy

Easily.  Get thousands of dollars worth of rewards, and bonuses for signing up for new checking accounts.  Doctor of credit has the best links for those.  I would say 3-5 checking accounts a year is safe.

Message 24 of 38
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Ice your CRs. Smiley Very Happy

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 25 of 38
Bman70
Established Contributor

You have a good cash rewards card already with Discover It. Hopefully you're on the double cashback promo too. 

About the car loan - I would keep growing the FICO score until you're nearer the top tier. Because the rate difference between high 600 scores and mid 700 scores would easily eat up any cash rewards you could hope to earn.. over the life of the loan. 

Just think what it would feel like to accept an offer but get declined.. then you would have a hard pull on the file, and have to wait even longer for the score to go up. And auto loan will help your score grow faster too, since FICO likes to see diverse loan types. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Calamine lotion.

Message 27 of 38
Bman70
Established Contributor

p.s. If it said "preselected" that's not really a sure approval, people have been denied after preselected. If it's a real offer, you should be able to click on the benefits and see a single interest rate, not a range of interest rates. I just signed out of my BoA, and here's what the preapproval looks like. They're "offering" me a 20% APR, which is really bad because they've offered 14% before. Sneaky. 
Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 1.02.01 PM.png

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 28 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bman70 wrote:

p.s. If it said "preselected" that's not really a sure approval, people have been denied after preselected. If it's a real offer, you should be able to click on the benefits and see a single interest rate, not a range of interest rates. I just signed out of my BoA, and here's what the preapproval looks like. They're "offering" me a 20% APR, which is really bad because they've offered 14% before. Sneaky. 
Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 1.02.01 PM.png

I'll be damned, I just learned something! I never actually sign out of my accounts, just leave the site. Just used the sign out link and an "invitation to apply" for the Alaska Airlines business card popped up. Not an actual offer, but interesting nonetheless.

Message 29 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bman70 wrote:

You have a good cash rewards card already with Discover It. Hopefully you're on the double cashback promo too. 

About the car loan - I would keep growing the FICO score until you're nearer the top tier. Because the rate difference between high 600 scores and mid 700 scores would easily eat up any cash rewards you could hope to earn.. over the life of the loan. 

Just think what it would feel like to accept an offer but get declined.. then you would have a hard pull on the file, and have to wait even longer for the score to go up. And auto loan will help your score grow faster too, since FICO likes to see diverse loan types. 

Yes sir! I am on the double cashback promo Smiley Happy, it came with the 12month 0% APR aswell!
How the 5% cashback works is slightly confusing, but I am slowly learning it.
I actually didn't know that about the car loan, thank you Smiley Very Happy
However, the car loan fiasco is a other topic for a different time LOL, I've over stuffed my brain with that information from here.

*P.S. I giggled way to much at the "calamine lotion" comment.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.