Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Control "The Itch"

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: How to Control "The Itch"

One benchmark that I use to stave off excessive cc apping -- granted, with certain exceptions, such as a few very long-period 0% promo cards -- is that I will set a specific go-to APR threshold that I will not apply for cards above.  For me, it used to be 10%, but now that prime rate is higher and most modern-day ccs are obviously variable-rate APRs, it's now more like 12% or thereabouts, for me personally.  In my case, it can be an effective deterrent for me, no matter how alluring the rewards or sign-up bonus offered on any given card may be  Smiley Very Happy

ETA:  corrections/edits

Message 31 of 38
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This post blew up after I fell asleep! Smiley Surprised
And the advice is amazing thank you Heart.

As for the want vs need, more or less... A want for the rewards card, but the travel card is something I'd need.
I travel a fair amount of times from NC to NYC, ( my man's family is up there.) So we go up there for holidays, and sometimes weddings for his friends.Smiley Happy

I haven't pulled my credit report from here yet, but CK says my TU is 676, and EQ at 678.
However, my Discover card just started showing my score and it says 708 Smiley Frustrated

As for the signature, I tried doing it, but I kept getting errors when trying Smiley LOL

Believe Discover, congratulations on being over 700.

Not CK, and not Capital One, both are "Not FICO 08" scores.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 32 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This post blew up after I fell asleep! Smiley Surprised
And the advice is amazing thank you Heart.

As for the want vs need, more or less... A want for the rewards card, but the travel card is something I'd need.
I travel a fair amount of times from NC to NYC, ( my man's family is up there.) So we go up there for holidays, and sometimes weddings for his friends.Smiley Happy

I haven't pulled my credit report from here yet, but CK says my TU is 676, and EQ at 678.
However, my Discover card just started showing my score and it says 708 Smiley Frustrated

As for the signature, I tried doing it, but I kept getting errors when trying Smiley LOL

Believe Discover, congratulations on being over 700.

Not CK, and not Capital One, both are "Not FICO 08" scores.

This means I am in the 700 club!
I didn't think I'd get there for awhile Smiley Surprised
Time to celebrate with a happy danceSmiley LOL

Message 33 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This means I am in the 700 club!
I didn't think I'd get there for awhile Smiley Surprised
Time to celebrate with a happy danceSmiley LOL

Congratulations! 

Message 34 of 38
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone!
I was wondering... How do you curb your itch to apply for really good cards?

By telling myself I don't need it.  I have no desire to get things I don't need.

I took a similar approach when I quit smoking...  I told myself I was done... on June 6th, 2011... and haven't touched them since.

Don't worry OP... the longer you go, the easier it gets.  That goes for not smoking and new CC accounts.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 35 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay.
I am now officially taking the advice, and leaving the forum for a bit LOL.....................Smiley Tongue
I broke. I gave in. I took the temptation bait. And I got myself my first Visa card, and my highest SL.Smiley Surprised

I logged on here today, my first mistake. Then I stumbled upon the SCT thread(s), my second mistake.
My third mistake was reading what companies did it.... I meandered around a few of the websites to "test" to see if I could get the popup, my fourth mistake.
And then I found my resistance killer, my Achilles Heel.
Sportsmanguide. I meandered, I looked, and liked everything I saw.
So I tested it, I got the popup. And spent 30 minutes pondering it, weighing the cons, and pros.

My main concerns were,
1. Would I use this card? The answer is yes. My family has 18acres of property, and much of what they offer I could use for there.
2. Is it going to lower my age of credit history? The answer is no( I think if I read things here properly.) I opened my Discover this month, so I am pretty sure this card won't lower it again because it was opened in the same month.
3. And IF they HP me, could I realistically take another inq? The answer was yes, although hesitantly.

I got approved for 1,500, and my card will be here in 10 days.
And to my delightful surprise, I can use this outside of the store... For some reason, I thought it was a regular store/charge card. 
It's also nice to have this for my utlization at the moment. I usually keep mine at 9%, however, I just had to take my
pet for an emergency pet visit Smiley Sad. The bill was hefty, so my utilzation is near 25% at the moment. ( now going to buy pet insurance.)

So overall.. It was successful, but now I need to find the #'s for the CRA's so I can freeze my reports LOLSmiley LOL

Message 36 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats .... but i lol'ed since you're the one who initiated this thread! =p

btw it definitely will affect your AAoA. it will show up as another tradeline. hopefully others could chime in. im newb. 

Message 37 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

All 3 are frozen for 24 months. That way if I get an itch, the lender can't scratch it. And frankly, I don't want anymore CC's. The thrill is gone! Thanks Chase!

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.