cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build credit with a new card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to build credit with a new card?

thank s everyone
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

it is with capitol one
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

what does leave a balance of less then 9% mean? use less then 9% of the card or say I use 40$ too only pay 31$?
Message 13 of 17
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

You can use as much as you like , pay in full by the due date and then bf your statement cuts make a very small charge of less than 9% of your CL . Learn your due dates and statement dates well , almost all of my credit cards report whatever balance I have when the statement cuts for the mth
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

gotcha thanks
Message 15 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
it is with capitol one

Capital One falls into the "good" bank category. I wouldn't be afraid to use the card a lot as long as you keep paying as you go along in order to stay away from your limit.

Do as Aduke1122 suggests. Make payments throughout the month as needed. When it's time for the statement to cut, bring your balance down to 8.9% of the limit or lower. Statement cut time shoud be the only time you might want to give your card a rest. That way, you avoid having pending charges sneaking through.

Message 16 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I forgot to mention this. Avoid statement balances that are zero. That'll cause a score ding. Leave a balance of at least $5 (but below 8,9%). Rather than bothering to bill you, some lenders forgive tiny balances and report zero to the bureaus.

Once you have more cards,  zero balances on most of them — but not all of them — will be a good thing.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.