Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to build credit?

I'm 18 and I've never had a credit card, I'm not currently a student and I don't excatly have a job(I'm a photo retoucher and I do alot of freelance work)

I've tried getting a secured CC (capitol one) and I was denied, I cant even get a retail card (JCP)

Smiley Sad can someone please give me some tips on how to build credit

Thanks in advance

-Gabby

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to build credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm 18 and I've never had a credit card, I'm not currently a student and I don't excatly have a job(I'm a photo retoucher and I do alot of freelance work)

I've tried getting a secured CC (capitol one) and I was denied, I cant even get a retail card (JCP)

Thanks in advance

-Gabby

Have you looked into a local credit union?

I suggest a CU secured card and secured share loan to start putting some positive history on your reports.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance

-Gabby

Who do you bank with? Sometimes the big banks will give a credit card (secured or even unsecured) to someone who banks with them even with no history. BoA, Citi, even Chase have been known to do this. 

If you can't go this route, joining a local Credit Union like Nixon suggesting is also a solid choice. 

Lastly, you can try applying for one of those retail cards that can be had using the Shopping Cart Trick (google that if you don't know what it is). This should allow you to get a card, but it will come with a $200-300 limit, making it hard to use. If you go this route, DON'T GET MORE THAN ONE! One is enough. Pick one that actually gives you some discount at the store (Ann Taylor for example gives you 5% cash back at the clothing store, which is quite nice if you shop there). My personal recomendation among these is the Overstock credit card, which for some reason gives a larger limit initially and more Credit Line Increases than usual. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look at the primor secured card or the first progress secured card.
Message 4 of 11
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

The Credit Card Act requires lenders to ask you what your income and expenses are, even for secured cards.  (They don't have to verify ths info).

If you answer the question that you are unemployed and list your income as nothing, they can't approve you -- by law.

As long as you have more income than expenses on your credit app, you would be approved for OpenSky or Primor (neither pulls credit reports)

Message 5 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

I just went through the State Department FCU to get a secured VISA from them, after Nixon noted there was no HP involved.

Sure enough, easy app ( although you really need to keep track of the log in screens and passwords, different logs in for opening the account vs working with the accounts, more security layers than a Get Smart episode.). No HP, and no approval process for the card.

You just put funds into your savings account, then fill out the app for the secured card, anything from $250 (I did $500) up to a couple thousand, you choose your limit.  Even easier than the PenFed secured card, (though the PenFed was following on a HP denial for a real card, so maybe not the best comparison). PenFed secured is similar no fees, but would have a HP just to get the card.

SDFCU Secured: No HP (meaning you don't need any credit file), No AF, no FTF, low APR, and this actually earns some sort of rewards, 1 point per dollar, though I'm not sure it's terribly lucrative returns, it's better than a CreditOne poke-in-the-eye fee structure.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

I just went through the State Department FCU to get a secured VISA from them, after Nixon noted there was no HP involved.

Sure enough, easy app ( although you really need to keep track of the log in screens and passwords, different logs in for opening the account vs working with the accounts, more security layers than a Get Smart episode.). No HP, and no approval process for the card.

You just put funds into your savings account, then fill out the app for the secured card, anything from $250 (I did $500) up to a couple thousand, you choose your limit.  Even easier than the PenFed secured card, (though the PenFed was following on a HP denial for a real card, so maybe not the best comparison). PenFed secured is similar no fees, but would have a HP just to get the card.

SDFCU Secured: No HP (meaning you don't need any credit file), No AF, no FTF, low APR, and this actually earns some sort of rewards, 1 point per dollar, though I'm not sure it's terribly lucrative returns, it's better than a CreditOne poke-in-the-eye fee structure.

Love the reference.

And yes, SDFCU is who I'd go through If I still had a need for secured credit.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bank with BofA and I've been preselected for their secured card but it requires a $300 depositSmiley Indifferent

I'll defintly try the shopping cart trick, Thanks to everyone for taking time to help me!Heart

Message 8 of 11
bobbay
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance

-Gabby

Have you looked into a local credit union?

I suggest a CU secured card and secured share loan to start putting some positive history on your reports.

1+ ^  DCU has lots of this stuff.  Secured cards, you could do an autoloan, credit builder loans or multiple credit builder loans as well as one of their credit cards.  

Current Score: EX 712 4/28/15, TU 713 4/14/14 lender pull, EQ 723 9/16/15, 740 EQ bankcard 8 6/1/15 lender pull
Last app 03/12/17

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking into DCU now Smiley Happy

Everyone's so helpful lol

thanks again to everyone!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.