cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to close a CC with monthly fees at $0 balance?

tag
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

How to close a CC with monthly fees at $0 balance?

I plan on closing my FP card in the next couple of months and feel this question deserves a thread of its own. I could not find a similar thread in the forum. The main goal here is to find out what steps to take in order to make sure the balance closes at $0.

-How do you properly close a CC that charges you a monthly fee at the end of the billing cycle?

-What day of the billing cycle should you close it?

Example:

-End of billng cycle is the 15th

If you close it on the 10th, the balance will be at $0 that day. The CC company may pull something shady and charge you the monthly fee later. You essentially used their services that month for about 25 days. How do you prevent this?

IIRC, First Premier will let you pay 10% over the balance. I have to call and confirm this.

However, Credit One does not let you pay over your $0 balance. I tried to do this 2 months ago and they wouldn't let me. I even spoke with a manager and they couldn't do it.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: How to close a CC with monthly fees at $0 balance?

@money_talks wrote:

I plan on closing my FP card in the next couple of months and feel this question deserves a thread of its own. I could not find a similar thread in the forum. The main goal here is to find out what steps to take in order to make sure the balance closes at $0.

-How do you properly close a CC that charges you a monthly fee at the end of the billing cycle?

-What day of the billing cycle should you close it?

Example:

-End of billng cycle is the 15th

If you close it on the 10th, the balance will be at $0 that day. The CC company may pull something shady and charge you the monthly fee later. You essentially used their services that month for about 25 days. How do you prevent this?

IIRC, First Premier will let you pay 10% over the balance. I have to call and confirm this.

However, Credit One does not let you pay over your $0 balance. I tried to do this 2 months ago and they wouldn't let me. I even spoke with a manager and they couldn't do it.

Call them, and initiate closure. Doesn't matter which day of the cycle. There's really no need to "time" till the last day of the cycle. You're just saving a couple dollars at best.

Once the account closes, make sure you open and check the next statement for residual interest fees and other random fees. Pay it off.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

You...Hello I would like to close my card 

CSR... I can help with that but why

You...My credit has grown and you charge me too much money

CSR....We would like to keep you as a loyal customer I can give you a $5 statement credit 

You...No close my card but thanks 

CSR...please hold 

CSR...Hey Ernie (supervisor) I have another one on hold who wants to close the vampire card can I offer a $10 statement credit LOL

Edit spell checkSmiley Embarassed

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 4
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

Could you push in overpay through your bank's billpay? That way you will not have to worry about fees.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.