cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine a rebuilder account on the credit reports?

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

How to determine a rebuilder account on the credit reports?

What do we look for?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to determine a rebuilder account on the credit reports?

@DigitalArk wrote:
What do we look for?
  • Creditor institution name first
  • Limit / installment size second.
  • Tradeline type third.
  • Secured vs Unsecured likely fourth.

        
Message 2 of 9
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

@Revelate

Which financial institution(s) on the reports would most likely be associated with a rebuilder account?
Message 3 of 9
Luscher
Valued Contributor

@DigitalArk CreditOne would be one of them imo
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 9
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Maybe Cap1 and GERMB as well?
Message 5 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@DigitalArk wrote:

Often but not always.  Cap 1 does have some CCs that require excellent credit (and there's certainly people here with 5-digit limits on their cards).  And while GE cards are easier to get than many store cards, not everyone with store cards is necessarily a rebuilder.

I'd say ones like First Premier and Merrick are rebuilders.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 9
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

My rebuilders were Cit and WF secured cards. They have unsecured and so there is almost* no trace of any rebuilder activity or uglier early history..

I have no idea who, if any, creditors look for rebuilder history.

*I say almost because a creditor with enough analytics could calculate the mortgage interest rate I had on a mortgage taken out in '09 and make a pretty good estimate that my FICOs at the time were in the mid 600's. Had only the two cards extant at the time reported, my FICOs would have been around 720 to 730. They could reasonably infer I had baddies reporting at the time.

But it would take analytics to figure that out and is likely beyond the ability of a manual reviewer.

I doubt it really matters much though. One's current credit status is what's important.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 7 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@cashnocredit wrote:

My rebuilders were Cit and WF secured cards. They have unsecured and so there is almost* no trace of any rebuilder activity or uglier early history..

I have no idea who, if any, creditors look for rebuilder history.

*I say almost because a creditor with enough analytics could calculate the mortgage interest rate I had on a mortgage taken out in '09 and make a pretty good estimate that my FICOs at the time were in the mid 600's. Had only the two cards extant at the time reported, my FICOs would have been around 720 to 730. They could reasonably infer I had baddies reporting at the time.

But it would take analytics to figure that out and is likely beyond the ability of a manual reviewer.

I doubt it really matters much though. One's current credit status is what's important.

FICO doesn't care who issued your card.  It's definitely something more likely to be noticed under manual review.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@DigitalArk wrote:

Often but not always.  Cap 1 does have some CCs that require excellent credit (and there's certainly people here with 5-digit limits on their cards).  And while GE cards are easier to get than many store cards, not everyone with store cards is necessarily a rebuilder.

I'd say ones like First Premier and Merrick are rebuilders.

+1.

I tend to lump store cards in with rebuilders, but that's only because most of their underwriting criteria is down at that level.   I think it's fair to state that any institution the underwriter hasn't heard of, may be a rebuilder or otherwise "suboptimal" tradeline from a bureaucrat perspective.

As someone mentioned FICO doesn't care, at all; and for the most part I don't think many lending institutions care either, to give a personal example, my own report had/has:

BOFA secured (unsecured now)

C1 nee Orchard $400

DCU Secured card

Cashcall installment loan

Any underwriter looking at that would see 4 rebuilding tradelines, and even today looking at the establishment date on my BOFA account, a knowledgable underwriter could likely assume that it started as a secured card; that all said, everyone knows people have to start somewhere, and underwriting will judge more on what was done with the tradelines since they established than what they are.  Amex has approved me instantly for just about everything I asked for (half hour delay on the Zync app, close enough for government work) and Chase didn't hassle me about any of them when I went through a pretty simple recon process for the admittedly fairly low bar of the current Freedom underwriting.  I suspect looking around at anecdotal reports by January I could obtain a CSP too without much trouble.

I think it's fair to state that even the premier lenders don't emphasize which cards you've had in the past: they're worried about future profitability, and will make the benchmark decision at that instant in time.  Restating: everyone has to start somewhere, and other than students and a few exceptional cases, we all start at the bottom of the food chain from a credit card and loan perspective.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.