Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get 1.13 cents per MR point

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

How to get 1.13 cents per MR point

Right now, there's a special for GC redemptions on Amex's MR program - 8,000 MR points for a $100 Home Depot Gift card.  

Here's how to turn it into cash. 

1.  Redeem 8,000 MR for a $100 HD Giftcard (maximum of 20).  

2.  Sell it at Cardpool for $87 per $100 - their standing offer for HD Giftcards.

3.  Use topcashback for the sale for 4% cashback on GC nominal value = $4.

Receive $91 cash ($87 for HD GC + $4 cashback) for every 8,000 MR points.  So, for those with the 50K MR bonus, you can transform 48K MR into $546 in cash.  

The redemption value is still considerably higher with FF redemption via bonus transfers, but for those who don't travel or aren't interested, this kind of redemption has more value than statement credits or redeeming for cash GCs.  

The rate of 1.13 for MR redemption is respectable, especially for those with the 50K and 100K sign-up bonuses.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: How to get 1.13 cents per MR point

Message 2 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Right now, there's a special for GC redemptions on Amex's MR program - 8,000 MR points for a $100 Home Depot Gift card.  

Here's how to turn it into cash. 

1.  Redeem 8,000 MR for a $100 HD Giftcard (maximum of 20).  

2.  Sell it at Cardpool for $87 per $100 - their standing offer for HD Giftcards.

3.  Use topcashback for the sale for 4% cashback on GC nominal value = $4.

Receive $91 cash ($87 for HD GC + $4 cashback) for every 8,000 MR points.  So, for those with the 50K MR bonus, you can transform 48K MR into $546 in cash.  

The redemption value is still considerably higher with FF redemption via bonus transfers, but for those who don't travel or aren't interested, this kind of redemption has more value than statement credits or redeeming for cash GCs.  

The rate of 1.13 for MR redemption is respectable, especially for those with the 50K and 100K sign-up bonuses.

Awesome!!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 5
CBTS
Frequent Contributor

Great!

Question though, is the 50K sign-up bonus a targeted offer that only specific people get? I just got the PRG, and the only offer I saw on AMEX's website was for the 25K bonus.

Message 4 of 5
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous- wrote:

Great!

Question though, is the 50K sign-up bonus a targeted offer that only specific people get? I just got the PRG, and the only offer I saw on AMEX's website was for the 25K bonus.

Yes, and no. 

There are "link exploitations" with the offer that Amex will honor when used.  Also, creditcards dot com will sometimes have the 50K PRG and 100K Platinum offers.  However, Amex has changed their T&C to stipulate that if you're "identified as an Amex cardmenber, you *may* not be eligible for the offer."  

But, if you've never had an Amex, Amex charge for the past 90 days and/or the identical product the last 12 months, I'm sure the link will work.  If not, it appears Amex has changed the language for them to exclude *any* Amex cardmember from a bonus, at their discretion.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.