Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,093
Registered: ‎08-30-2013
0

Re: How to get AMEX?

A paid collection might not change your score but it does look more favorable to lenders esp. during a manual review-and IMO it offers a little more peace of mind also. I can't get in with AMEX either mostly b/c of past (all paid) derogs, but have been able to score some other good accounts.

Valued Member
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎09-30-2013
0

Re: How to get AMEX?

[ Edited ]

Credit-hoarder wrote:

A paid collection might not change your score but it does look more favorable to lenders esp. during a manual review.


An unpaid collection that's 6 years old will fall off in one year, paying that collection now will reset the clock and it's on your reports for 7 more years.

 

In the long run, paying this collection is a bad idea because it means that:

1. It will have a negative impact for 6 years more than not paying.

2. It will change it from an old negative unpaid to a new negative paid. As a new negative, it will have a higher weight than it does currently.

 

Sure it'd look better to have it paid than unpaid, but when you're 6 years in already, you're better off waiting one more year and having it fall off before applying for credit than spending the next 7 years explaining to EOs that your paid collection isn't as bad as it looks.

 

E: per comments below, I've got some things mixed up and a payment should not reset the clock for when it will fall off your report.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,346
Registered: ‎04-15-2011
0

Re: How to get AMEX?


cjc343 wrote:

Credit-hoarder wrote:

A paid collection might not change your score but it does look more favorable to lenders esp. during a manual review.


An unpaid collection that's 6 years old will fall off in one year, paying that collection now will reset the clock and it's on your reports for 7 more years.

 

In the long run, paying this collection is a bad idea because it means that:

1. It will have a negative impact for 6 years more than not paying.

2. It will change it from an old negative unpaid to a new negative paid. As a new negative, it will have a higher weight than it does currently.

 

Sure it'd look better to have it paid than unpaid, but when you're 6 years in already, you're better off waiting one more year and having it fall off before applying for credit than spending the next 7 years explaining to EOs that your paid collection isn't as bad as it looks.


 

+1

 

I have to agree with that.  Unless the creditor (collection agency, or whoever) would be willing to do a PFD (Pay For Delete) in writing, I'd advise to let it expire unpaid.  Is it totally ethical? Well, not really...  Are they.. no not really lol.   Has the original creditor already written it off on taxes? Yes.    So in a sense, we've all paid on it and my 2\100000 cents says let it expire unpaid since it's been this long already. 

Contributor
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎02-28-2013
0

Re: How to get AMEX?

The date of first delinquency from which you never recovered is the date that governs when it falls off your credit report.  "Resetting the clock" by paying an old open collection is not correct.


Starting Score: 640 TU / 593 EQ / 596 EX (3/1/13)
Current Score: 695 TU / 725 EQ / 673 EX (11/7/13)
Goal Score: 720 across the board


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Contributor
Posts: 116
Registered: ‎06-08-2013
0

Re: How to get AMEX?


fixingitohio wrote:

The date of first delinquency from which you never recovered is the date that governs when it falls off your credit report.  "Resetting the clock" by paying an old open collection is not correct.


It DOES reset the date of last activity - and that could impact the credit score until it deletes based in on the date of 1st del.



Starting Score: 573
Current Score: 764 EX (FAKO)
Goal Score: 760 all 3


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎12-28-2012
0

Re: How to get AMEX?

Agree it will reset the date, but it doesn't look good having an unpaid debt on your report while seeking new debt. I'll recommend waiting until the debt (charge office/collection) is removed from your report.
My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Discover $10,000, Chase Freedom $5,000, Capital One $3,750, Barclay $8,500 (AU), Jared $10,000, Pottery Barn $8,000, Sam's $10,000, Ashley's Furniture $6,000, Lowe's $7,500 (AU), Express Next $3,360, and Macy's Store Card (Joint Account) $2,000.

Last Application March 25, 2014. Score ranges 700+
Contributor
Posts: 94
Registered: ‎02-28-2013
0

Re: How to get AMEX?


gstq34 wrote:

fixingitohio wrote:

The date of first delinquency from which you never recovered is the date that governs when it falls off your credit report.  "Resetting the clock" by paying an old open collection is not correct.


It DOES reset the date of last activity - and that could impact the credit score until it deletes based in on the date of 1st del.


 

 

True.  The clock I was referring to resetting was the CRTP clock.  No matter when you pay it, it can only REPORT out to 7 years + 180 days from DOFD, which is governed by the OC, not by the CA if one is involved, on the version that most people and creditors see.

 

However, letting it "expire" from the "normal" reports we see doesn't extinguish the debt.  If you're going for a mortgage or a high paying job, they MAY order a full file copy of your credit report which has everything on it, in which case they would see it.  Unpaid debt never goes away, it just becomes a little more difficult to find.

 

For the OP, there is a LOT of info on this over in the Rebuilding forum.


Starting Score: 640 TU / 593 EQ / 596 EX (3/1/13)
Current Score: 695 TU / 725 EQ / 673 EX (11/7/13)
Goal Score: 720 across the board


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,928
Registered: ‎10-26-2012
0

Re: How to get AMEX?


cjc343 wrote:

Credit-hoarder wrote:

A paid collection might not change your score but it does look more favorable to lenders esp. during a manual review.


An unpaid collection that's 6 years old will fall off in one year, paying that collection now will reset the clock and it's on your reports for 7 more years.

 

In the long run, paying this collection is a bad idea because it means that:

1. It will have a negative impact for 6 years more than not paying.

2. It will change it from an old negative unpaid to a new negative paid. As a new negative, it will have a higher weight than it does currently.

 

Sure it'd look better to have it paid than unpaid, but when you're 6 years in already, you're better off waiting one more year and having it fall off before applying for credit than spending the next 7 years explaining to EOs that your paid collection isn't as bad as it looks.


That would be incorrect. Nothing can restart the DoFD. Paying a collection will not reset the CRTP. If the collection is factored into your util % then you could get some sort of increase in score. 

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.