cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get AMEX?

tag
john08135i

How to get AMEX?

I've recently applied for two seperate AMEX cards..both instant decline..why is it so hard to get one? I really want it for the insurance and warranty benefits.

I have many other great cards already and all have always been in perfect standing. Some are 5 figure CL. and my proven salary is 6 figures +.My score is not very high but all my credit is perfect and has been.

also two of these are joint ..rest are single owner no signers.

chase SW rewards
chase IHG rewards
barclaycard
best buy 
chase slate
discoverIT
capital One
partners FCU
logix FCU
citi
GE careCredit
chase SW rewards
jareds
Ge amazon store
GE walmart

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: How to get AMEX?

What were the reasons for decline?
FICO scores?
Util?
Baddies?
AAOA?
Inq's?
Message 2 of 18
john08135i

I havent received the letter yet. I called recon and they said i must wait for letter. For my goals that is my last card i want. I have had many loans and current is BMW again with .09%. I have had 7 car and boat loans in the past 6 years all perfect. Short because i pay them off early but paid on time non the less.

Only thing is a collection from 6 yrs ago for $300 that i am waiting for it to fall off.  It should be gone any month now.

Message 3 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

Lexie has a good question what's your UTL?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 18
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Utilization can kill your score. If you are using higher than 50% of your available credit it will raise a red flag to lenders on the application. 

Read the letter and proceed from there 

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 5 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

Like others have said, wait for the letter, and them decide what to do from there on.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 18
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Try checking the AMEX Card app status website, (guess website doesn't work, search google for the website) It should tell you why you were declined, then post back here.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 7 of 18
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Hi

Is your collection paid?

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 8 of 18
john08135i

no its for $600 and 6 yrs old.. ive read any collection older than two years old if you pay it past that it does not increase your score..

Message 9 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It may not increase your score but a collection account paid or unpaid is still a derog. Double check the date it should drop off, looks like you might have a better chance after it's deleted.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.