cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get MR pts to United Mileage Program?

tag
gpfirestone
New Contributor

How to get MR pts to United Mileage Program?

Since Amex doesn't let me transfer points to United mileage, whats the best way to book a United flight with miles using MR points?  If I transfer to a star alliance partner will they allow me to book through them?  If so should Aeroplan work?  Any tips are greatly appreciated.  I want to book 2 flights to Koror, Palau from Denver which would normally cost $2000-$2500 each for 70,000 miles per ticket.  Debated getting business class tickets but its not worth it to me to waste the extra miles when I'll just be sleeping on the plane.

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

FIA/BOA is the plague. AVOID THEM!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gpfirestone
New Contributor

Re: How to get MR pts to United Mileage Program?

bump, really could use some help here

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

Message 2 of 8
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Yes your best bet is to transfer to a star alliance and book through them. We don't recommend paying with points.
Message 3 of 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Or, if you are a member of starwood preferred guest, you can transfer from MR to SPG 1:1, then SPG to either aeroplan or US airways (maybe more, but I know those are both star alliance). If you do increments of 20, you get a 5k bonus. So 20k MR=20kSPG=25kUSAirways or Aeroplan. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 8
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Mr--->spg is 3.33:1. Unless there is some promo I don't know about.
Message 5 of 8
Open123
Super Contributor

Unfortunately, can't think of a good way to transfer from MR or SPG (2:1 - not worth it) to UA.  

UA miles are pretty exclusive and tend to have a pretty high value for this reason.

Message 6 of 8
gpfirestone
New Contributor

It is a bit frustrating.  It takes 90,000 aero plan miles to book a flight on united that costs 70,000 united miles.  The fees are higher too.  Do you have any idea how often amex runs the bonuses for transfering points to miles?  I didn't transfer to aeroplan back in december when they ran a pretty nice bonus and want to get in on the next one.

Message 7 of 8
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@gpfirestone wrote:

It is a bit frustrating.  It takes 90,000 aero plan miles to book a flight on united that costs 70,000 united miles.  The fees are higher too.  Do you have any idea how often amex runs the bonuses for transfering points to miles?  I didn't transfer to aeroplan back in december when they ran a pretty nice bonus and want to get in on the next one.

From what I've seen they seem to run transfer bonuses 1-2 times per year. Others may have better info on this.

If you're purely trying to redeem for a flight on UA metal, then transferring to any star alliance partner will work. You should have a look at who will cost the least, since they charge different amounts for the same flight (90k vs 70k).

Besides Aeroplan, other options to look into would be NH and SQ. I am skeptical that the latter will yield a good value, but the previous is definitely worth looking into.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.