Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Walmart Discover upgrade?

tag
MrCredit
Established Contributor

How to get Walmart Discover upgrade?

Does anyone know how to get a Walmart Discover Upgrade? I have a limit of $600 from them right now on a regular store card.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: How to get Walmart Discover upgrade?

@MrCredit wrote:

Does anyone know how to get a Walmart Discover Upgrade? I have a limit of $600 from them right now on a regular store card.

I think it maybe impossible soon as they are going with MasterCard

Message 2 of 14
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I am curious too if there is a way to proactively inititate the upgrade or if you just have to wait for them to bestow it upon you?

Message 3 of 14
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

I think that you will see a lot of people getting the upgrade to MC as a way to promote the card.

Message 4 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

My experience with walmart is that its an invitation only for them to upgrade you from store card to discover. I don't know if anything will change when they try to push the new MC later in the summer. 

I have had the popup only show up once for upgrade to discover. I was going to wait to see what the new walmart MC has to offer so i declined. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 14
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

I received an invitation in the mail but did not reply in time, I called and they told me Discover was no longer offering current Walmart card holder upgrades? Would this be because of Mastercard coming? Just curious because I too would like to change from just the store card.

Message 6 of 14
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

My experience with walmart is that its an invitation only for them to upgrade you from store card to discover. I don't know if anything will change when they try to push the new MC later in the summer. 

I have had the popup only show up once for upgrade to discover. I was going to wait to see what the new walmart MC has to offer so i declined. 

I received an invitation in the mail but did not reply in time, I called and they told me Discover was no longer offering current Walmart card holder upgrades? Would this be because of Mastercard coming? Just curious because I too would like to change from just the store card.

I think that may be the case, i think by end of the summer is the estimate i have seen floating around when walmart MC will be released. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 14
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think that may be the case, i think by end of the summer is the estimate i have seen floating around when walmart MC will be released. 

Okay, just making sure I did not miss out on my only opportunity to upgrade!

Message 8 of 14
jeffg330
Regular Contributor

As others said I believe you just have to wait for WM to offer an upgrade.

Also be mindful if AAoA is of concern to you. From what I've read an upgrade from walmart will show as a new account (insane). I had the chance to upgrade to WM discover but with my AAoA being six years I ended up not accepting

Starting Score: EQ 609 EX 570 TU 656 March 2012 CH 7 BK 12/08
Current Score: EQ 691 EX 694 TU 713
Goal Score: all 3 700's.
Quicksilver $5000 Discover IT $1500 Barclays NFL $1250 Walmart $1500 CL Applied Bank $300 (secured)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

In the Garden till 12/14
Message 9 of 14
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

I was just upgraded a couple of weeks ago, it's already showing on my reports and yes it is a new TL. The walmart card is showing closed and the Discover is a new account.

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.