Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a Discover CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to get a Discover CLI?

I always put on suit and tie before pushing the button, never hurt to look professional.
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I always put on suit and tie before pushing the button, never hurt to look professional.

But did you offer a sacrifice to the Disco CLI Gods?  The want a subprime card run through through the shredder. 

Message 12 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I just do it in my birthday suit clap my hands twice to see whether i have more luck with my lights turning on or off or whether they decide the clapper is worthy enough of a throwback to the good ol days to grant me access to their luvSmiley Wink
Message 13 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say that it's a damned blessing and act of god that you even got the card after only 2 months from filing chap 7.

Discover is doing you a wicked favor. Currently, that bankruptcy is not even 2 years old, which is how long a measly inquiry stays on for.

You are going to have to do the hardest thing and that is wait. Your bankruptcy over time will become less effective but right now you are a serious risk and again is just crazy that discover did that. Good for you, you should be very loyal to them. Just keep showing them great spend and pay habits and after some time I am sure the disco train will stop in your town. 

Good Luck to you!

Lucky getting approved for a Discover with a BK?  Are you kidding me that is what they look for on approving people for a disover card as a person can't declare another bk in 7 years thus they feel they are pretty safe and usually give bigger CL's than people that have pristine credit.  As a BK ages actually a lender with said BK becomes more risky as it ages since they can file again as it gets older and older.  Just my 2 cents.  Discover either loves people or hates people it is that simple the more credit you have the less they like you as they want to be your goto lender

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say that it's a damned blessing and act of god that you even got the card after only 2 months from filing chap 7.

Discover is doing you a wicked favor. Currently, that bankruptcy is not even 2 years old, which is how long a measly inquiry stays on for.

You are going to have to do the hardest thing and that is wait. Your bankruptcy over time will become less effective but right now you are a serious risk and again is just crazy that discover did that. Good for you, you should be very loyal to them. Just keep showing them great spend and pay habits and after some time I am sure the disco train will stop in your town. 

Good Luck to you!

Lucky getting approved for a Discover with a BK?  Are you kidding me that is what they look for on approving people for a disover card as a person can't declare another bk in 7 years thus they feel they are pretty safe and usually give bigger CL's than people that have pristine credit.  As a BK ages actually a lender with said BK becomes more risky as it ages since they can file again as it gets older and older.  Just my 2 cents.  Discover either loves people or hates people it is that simple the more credit you have the less they like you as they want to be your goto lender

Oh so when you file bankruptcy you're not showing your inability to pay your debts? Meaning once you file you now will always pay your bills and never default on any lines of credit (for 7 years). Magic. Bankruptcy is bankruptcy. And you could absolutely still charge up your line and not pay it. Discover just took a leap of faith and gave a small line so that Alex could have an opportunity to repair his past. 1800 is not much of a loss and that's why he isn't seeing another increase. 

Message 15 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I just do it in my birthday suit clap my hands twice to see whether i have more luck with my lights turning on or off or whether they decide the clapper is worthy enough of a throwback to the good ol days to grant me access to their luvSmiley Wink

Oh my Gawd, this is just too FUNNY! for an early Sunday morning. Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 16 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Agent_Alex wrote:

I had chapter 7 BK in September 2016. November 1st, 2016 I applied for a Discover It and got approved for $1,800.

I have put around $15-20k on it on and off within the last year since I have had it. I usually pay the balance off that month or keep it going for 2-3 months and make large payments. In April 2017 they gave me a measly $200 Auto CLI and that has been it. I have tried multiple times for a CLI but haven't gotten anything.

Their FICO scoreboard shows I am at 642 - and it was around 605 when I got the card.

Any advice on how to get another CLI?

I'm still trying to figure out how you spent between $15-20K on a $1.8K credit card in less than a year. IMHO, OP, if I were Discover, I would be scared to give you a generous CLI. Two months after filing BK, you got your foot in the door and you're charging tons of money even if you're paying in full monthly. Because what happens if you can't pay your debts "again" and now you owe Discover upwards of $20K. Honestly, I think Discover is only protecting it's money. IMHO, I think you should SD the card for about 3 months, then apply again for a CLI.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Agent_Alex wrote:

I had chapter 7 BK in September 2016. November 1st, 2016 I applied for a Discover It and got approved for $1,800.

I have put around $15-20k on it on and off within the last year since I have had it. I usually pay the balance off that month or keep it going for 2-3 months and make large payments. In April 2017 they gave me a measly $200 Auto CLI and that has been it. I have tried multiple times for a CLI but haven't gotten anything.

Their FICO scoreboard shows I am at 642 - and it was around 605 when I got the card.

Any advice on how to get another CLI?

I'm still trying to figure out how you spent between $15-20K on a $1.8K credit card in less than a year. IMHO, OP, if I were Discover, I would be scared to give you a generous CLI. Two months after filing BK, you got your foot in the door and you're charging tons of money even if you're paying in full monthly. Because what happens if you can't pay your debts "again" and now you owe Discover upwards of $20K. Honestly, I think Discover is only protecting it's money. IMHO, I think you should SD the card for about 3 months, then apply again for a CLI.

I wondered about this also and then reread 1st couple of posts from op. This is his/her ONLY major credit card.  They I would have thought given him a higher cli as he cannot bk again on them for   many years.  I know this reminds me of old school when you got cli by running large amounts through card and maxing it.  This is more modern than a biz i owed owned our biz model is below.  

Back a million years ago when I owed a biz that  had a private store card we never opened an account for any one with a bk on their profile. 

We were just to worried about the risk of no  pay/slow pay.  

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.