cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a NFCU account without knowing a military member?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get a NFCU account without knowing a military member?

I wanted to know if i could signup for a NFCU credit card without having a family member that is in the military. I think it asks for some basic information but nothing super sensitive (at least i dont think) so couldnt i be friends with someone or even pay someone to let me use their info so i can get my foot in the door with NFCU?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Re: How to get a NFCU account without knowing a military member?

I'm not sure about friends & whatnot, but I was able to get into NFCU because I work on base at the Commissary(non federal worker; just a regular hourly Joe).

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did they verify that you worked there? Did you just tell them that and that was it? I'd like to possibly tell them something like that if it gets my foot in the door.

Message 3 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

How did they verify that you worked there? Did you just tell them that and that was it? I'd like to possibly tell them something like that if it gets my foot in the door.

NFCU Security Dept is known for shutting down accounts that they cannot verify eligibility.  Also, what you are suggesting, buying a membership that you know you are not eligible for is unethical IMO.  Instead of trying to get around a known requirement, I would suggest putting your efforts into finding a credit union that you do qualify for, without the risk of having your accounts frozen. 

https://www.navyfederal.org/how-to-become-a-member/how-to-become-a-member.php

Message 4 of 19
Bman70
Established Contributor

The person working at the commissary is on DOD payroll, that's one way to be eligible. Just "telling" them something might get in briefly... but they do verify and investigate later on, and you could have accounts and cards frozen if you turn out not to be eligible. Why not just join Penfed, anyone can get in and it should satisfy the craving. Smiley Happy Not even most veterans can join NFCU, and it can't just be a friend. Household member or family. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can i get into Penfed? any requirments? i just want a bank that is generous with CL's and CLI's. 

Message 6 of 19
Bman70
Established Contributor

You click "help me join another way" here: A small one time donation to the organization gets you in. $15 or $20.

https://netmember4.penfed.org/NetMember/Forms/OpenAccounts/Eligibility.aspx?MEMBERSHIP

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 7 of 19
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

You could join the Navy.

Message 8 of 19
Exonumist
Established Contributor

I'm sorry, but did you even think about what you're asking before posting? Why do you want accounts with NFCU so bad anyways?

Message 9 of 19
keithB
Established Contributor

@sdwalt wrote:

You could join the Navy.

+1, LMAO!!!!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.