Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a PC or CLI from Capital One

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

How to get a PC or CLI from Capital One

It's no secret that getting additional credit, product changes, or pretty much anything beyond basic customer service from Capital One has been difficult.  Many of us have tried anything and everything only to be rebuffed, given contradictory information, bad advice, and odd responses from the customer service team.

There is a monster thread here in the credit card forum in which a bunch of us contacted various departments and executive parties at Capital One trying to get Product Changes or Credit Limit Increases.

After a successful attempt of my own, and reading about various successful and failed attempts by others, I have decided to share some easy steps that should point anyone else in the right direction.  This won't work for everyone, but did work for many of us.  Please feel free to add to this.

Best practice steps for Capital One satisfaction:

1.  Is your request reasonable?  Don't bother if your card is only in the first 6 months, if you have a very low score, or still have very low limits on all other cards.  This works best for long time customers stuck at the limit they got when their credit was much worse.

2.  Try customer service first.  Call the 800 number, or website chat and ask if you have any "offers".  Those looking for PC to rewards or no AF have reported great success with this.  You can also ask for a soft pull for CLI, but most people seem to get denied at this level.  You can also try the social team before the exec team if you want - that might work too.  You can reach them by posting on their facebook wall and they will email you back.

3.  If the above doesn't work, write a polite letter to the CEO via snail mail or email (google fu or pm someone here that has the address) explaining that you have tried to PC or CLI and were unable.  Explain why you want this, and ask if they can help you get in touch with a credit analyst or other party that can help you.  Be nice, clear, and firm.

5.  Answer the phone when your Exec rep calls.  Be prepared for a polite but all business conversation about your income, expenses, investment accounts, and credit history.  They will soft pull your file and may ask you to explain past derogs.  Also be prepared to explain why you want a higher limit.  I mentioned reimbursable business expenses, but you need your own reason when you call.

6.  Typically you will get an instant answer on rewards and annual fee requests, and a call back after 3 to 5 business days regarding credit limit increase requests.  They will normally post the new credit limit on your web portal at 9 am, and the rep call will come later in the day.  If you don't get a CLI, ask the exec rep why you were not eligible.  You might learn some great tips specific to your file, and identify what you should be focusing on to improve your chances.  Chase backdoor did this for me after a denial, and it was extremely helpful. 

7.  Don't call the exec line unsolicited.  These reps each have a list of customers who need a response after executive contact.  They handle each case personally and follow up on their list.  If you call without an open executive case, they may not be as enthusiastic about helping you.  If you call and are rude, or threatening to cancel, be prepared for rejection.  If you email or write you will be an open case, and the reps will work hard to satisfy your requests.  Don't be shy, ask for what you want.

8.  Don't share the name or phone number of your exec rep.  That will flood the call center and make it much harder for you and everyone else to get help.  If someone asks you for that information, point them to the steps above first.

If you follow these steps you have a GREAT chance of success.  It appears Capital One does care about your business and wants to satisfy you - but the low level reps just don't have the autonomy to get it done.  These steps will work for other credit card companies also - feel free to try them and report your success. 

Anyone else have ideas for improving these steps, or other tips, please post.

Good luck!

Message 1 of 121
120 REPLIES 120
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get a PC or CLI from Capital One

Great advice, but this is ridiculous. Nobody should have to go through this for a CLI. You should just be able to call up your bank and get it handled with one easy phone call. I hate crap1.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 121
p-
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Great advice, but this is ridiculous. Nobody should have to go through this for a CLI. You should just be able to call up your bank and get it handled with one easy phone call. I hate crap1.

True - but at least it's done without a hard pull.  I had to call backdoor for Chase and talk to an Analyst to get the same thing, and it cost me a hard pull.

Message 3 of 121
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

True - but at least it's done without a hard pull.  I had to call backdoor for Chase and talk to an Analyst to get the same thing, and it cost me a hard pull.

Sounds like you need in on the US Bank action. Great service, great rewards.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 121
p-
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

@p- wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

Sounds like you need in on the US Bank action. Great service, great rewards.

Don't I have enough cards?  All I need now is a metal one...

Message 5 of 121
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Never enough cards. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 121
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

+1

Love the tips! May this help others who are long-term members hoping for a CLI!

BK7 Discharge: 2/18.
Message 7 of 121
beb86
Valued Contributor

#thingstotrytogetclifromcap1

1.When you go to bed at night put a dollar under your pilow and say a little prayer haha 

Message 8 of 121
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the write up p-

Question.  Since many of us start with cap1 under less than ideal conditions, has there been success getting a CLI with scores still less than stellar, and negative items still present, albeit further out? For instance, I've hit my year, 7 months since credit steps auto CLI and I'd like to contact EO by email to make a request.  Do I stand a chance while still in the low 600's? I'd like to up my CL from 750 to 1500+ if possible. Though anything helps, and would be more than the LUV button would supply

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 9 of 121
knj601
Established Member

@Jutz wrote:

Thanks for the write up p-

Question.  Since many of us start with cap1 under less than ideal conditions, has there been success getting a CLI with scores still less than stellar, and negative items still present, albeit further out? For instance, I've hit my year, 7 months since credit steps auto CLI and I'd like to contact EO by email to make a request.  Do I stand a chance while still in the low 600's? I'd like to up my CL from 750 to 1500+ if possible. Though anything helps, and would be more than the LUV button would supply

Your scores are not too far off from mine, and I just got an increase on my $500 CL to $1000 CL. I would try it, you never know. I have not had any negatives on my report since my BK, and they met my minimum request. I also have another card with them with a $2500 CL (did not ask for a CLI on this card) that I push a lot through, but I was happy with the credit increase on my rebuilder card. I would send an email and just try. Worst case is they say they can't do anything for you, but I imagine they can. My rebuilder card was only about a year and a half old.Good luck!!

Current: TU (Wal-Mart) 640 EQ (myFICO) 627 EX 628 as of 10/12
BK Discharged 08/10 (The dark times)
NavChek (5000) Cap1 (2500 & 1000) hhGregg (1500) Amazon (900) & WalMart (500) Lowes (300)

Goal: No apps until 07/2013 & 700's across the board
Message 10 of 121
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.