How to get a PC or CLI from Capital One

tag
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get a PC or CLI from Capital One

@knj601 wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

Thanks for the write up p-

Question.  Since many of us start with cap1 under less than ideal conditions, has there been success getting a CLI with scores still less than stellar, and negative items still present, albeit further out? For instance, I've hit my year, 7 months since credit steps auto CLI and I'd like to contact EO by email to make a request.  Do I stand a chance while still in the low 600's? I'd like to up my CL from 750 to 1500+ if possible. Though anything helps, and would be more than the LUV button would supply

Your scores are not too far off from mine, and I just got an increase on my $500 CL to $1000 CL. I would try it, you never know. I have not had any negatives on my report since my BK, and they met my minimum request. I also have another card with them with a $2500 CL (did not ask for a CLI on this card) that I push a lot through, but I was happy with the credit increase on my rebuilder card. I would send an email and just try. Worst case is they say they can't do anything for you, but I imagine they can. My rebuilder card was only about a year and a half old.Good luck!!

thanks! That's encouraging 

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 11 of 121
p-
Valued Contributor

@knj601 wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

Question.  Since many of us start with cap1 under less than ideal conditions, has there been success getting a CLI with scores still less than stellar, and negative items still present, albeit further out? For instance, I've hit my year, 7 months since credit steps auto CLI and I'd like to contact EO by email to make a request.  Do I stand a chance while still in the low 600's? I'd like to up my CL from 750 to 1500+ if possible. Though anything helps, and would be more than the LUV button would supply

Your scores are not too far off from mine, and I just got an increase on my $500 CL to $1000 CL. I would try it, you never know. I have not had any negatives on my report since my BK, and they met my minimum request. I also have another card with them with a $2500 CL (did not ask for a CLI on this card) that I push a lot through, but I was happy with the credit increase on my rebuilder card. I would send an email and just try. Worst case is they say they can't do anything for you, but I imagine they can. My rebuilder card was only about a year and a half old.Good luck!!

Agreed.  You;re over a year, and if your score has improved it's probably worth a try.

Message 12 of 121
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Good post, lots of information there.  Thank -p!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 13 of 121
heathuhhhhwebbbb
New Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

I'd say you do.  I got my CLI from $750 to $1500 and got the AF removed as well.  My scores are: TU FICO 678, EQ FICO 616, EX PLUS 692 (Credit Sesame: 632).

09/2013: TU FICO 692, EQ FICO 698, EX PLUS 709. No apps until December 2014!
Freedom: $1500 Cap1 Plat: $2000 Cap1 Cash: $1500 Barclays: $4000 Walmart: $2700 GE Luxury: $4800 Jared: $1500 Davids Bridal: $1500
Message 14 of 121
p-
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

Great advice, but this is ridiculous. Nobody should have to go through this for a CLI. You should just be able to call up your bank and get it handled with one easy phone call. I hate crap1.

There was a time when I thought that whatever CL you got you were stuck with, and there was no changing the rate, CL, or AF on any card.  Then I learned to call Orchard every six months for a soft CLI. Smiley Very Happy

The more of this I learn about, the more I realize there are two ways to go with any company.  Either take the crap they give everyone, or elevate yourself to VIP status.  Back when I got this card my credit was not so good - and I probably wouldn't have qualified for a higher tier card like US Bank.  To be honest, if I was stuck with the original deal from Cap1 I'd probably close it fairly soon.  But now that I know the secrets to getting what I want, I'll keep the card.  I went through the same thing with Verizon Wireless, DirecTv, Chase, and many others.  If you know who to ask, you can have a way better deal.

I'll grant you it's <bleep>y that we can't just ask a phone rep for a CLI...  But if a business won't do a good deal for everyone, they'll do it for someone, and that someone might as well be me.  And to be honest, I spent a hundred times longer discussing it and <bleep>ing about it here than I spent actually dealing with the exec team.  It was quick and easy, and like a completely different company; one I actually want to do business with.   Now that I know that I have that option if I need it, I'll use it.  

Plus there's an added bonus.  I really do get a kick out of this kind of stuff.  Like Charlie Sheen said; "WINNING!"

Message 15 of 121
p-
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Good post, lots of information there.  Thank -p!

Anytime - just stole ideas from a lot of other people's hard work as usual, but please, bring on the cheers.  

I guess you could say, I got all the credit.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Message 16 of 121
p-
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:

Plus there's an added bonus.  I really do get a kick out of this kind of stuff.  Like Charlie Sheen said; "WINNING!"

My wife says I'm "an useful kind of crazy".  I take it as a compliment.  

Message 17 of 121
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

lol

Message 18 of 121
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get a PC or CLI from Crap1

You mention that you qualified for Crap1, but couldn't qualify with US Bank. For me, US Bank approved me and continues to approve me. While crap1 denies me for everything. Their executive team is no help to me. I get better service from somebody I can reach with the number on the back of my US Bank card than I do from speaking with a supervisor at the executive office of crap1. Same with NFCU, great service from a general phone number no hoops to jump through.

I am glad Crap1 offers something beyond their horrible frontline reps, but I just don't think they should be so cheap service wise. All of their frontline reps should be on the level service wise as their executive office. I am sure the people on the executive team are not paid all that well either. They can easily find people with that level of phone service for $10 an hour.

I am disappointed Crap1 took over the Best Buy accounts. Even though they are still serviced by past HSBC employees, I have already noticed a reduced level of service. Primarily more stringent CLI policies and a general withholding of information (like being bound to a script).

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 19 of 121
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get a PC or CLI from Crap1

@Dustink wrote:

You mention that you qualified for Crap1, but couldn't qualify with US Bank. For me, US Bank approved me and continues to approve me. While crap1 denies me for everything. Their executive team is no help to me. I get better service from somebody I can reach with the number on the back of my US Bank card than I do from speaking with a supervisor at the executive office of crap1. Same with NFCU, great service from a general phone number no hoops to jump through.

I am glad Crap1 offers something beyond their horrible frontline reps, but I just don't think they should be so cheap service wise. All of their frontline reps should be on the level service wise as their executive office. I am sure the people on the executive team are not paid all that well either. They can easily find people with that level of phone service for $10 an hour.

I am disappointed Crap1 took over the Best Buy accounts. Even though they are still serviced by past HSBC employees, I have already noticed a reduced level of service. Primarily more stringent CLI policies and a general withholding of information (like being bound to a script).

Back when my scores were lower I applied for Cap1 because they had products that fit my situation.  I was pretty happy to get my first 4 figure CL with no annual fee.  Now that I have improved my scores, I'm not as desperate and things like customer service matter more.  But, aside from asking for a CLI or PC, I haven't had a need to interact with the reps from Cap1...  Granted, that was disappointing enough that I went the exec route, but I haven't been much more impressed with any other frontline reps, with the exception of USAA.  

It seems like most CCC's front line reps are uninformed, and have little or no autonomy to make a decision.  I'd go as far as to say that 90+% of the time I contact a CCC I end up needing higher tier help anyway.  Most of the frontline stuff I can do on my own online.  So, if I always bypass the frontline, who cares how bad they are?

But I do understand if you want to blacklist them because of your own experience.  I fired Wells Farto and blacklisted them from my financial interactions as well.

Did you email the execs at Cap1, or just call?  Did they say why they couldn't help you?

Message 20 of 121
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.