Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get aCLI by Discover?

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: How to get aCLI by Discover?

And generally they don't. They tend not to arbitrarily increase or decrease CL's.
Message 11 of 55
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

DI wrote:
Discover gives auto increases every 3 months during the first year of opening the card

This is not consistent with most Discover cardholders recent experience. Discover rarely gives auto-CLI's, but does present a "Request CLI" option in the telephone menus (Option 5-2) when it is an appropriate time to request a CLI. This normally not occur until 6 months to one year after the account was opened. There have been other, lengthy threads presented here detailing the use of the telephone menu option, which is semi-auto and very easy. The few recent fully auto CLI's Discover has offered are a little bit out of the norm. Also, requesting too many CLI's from Discover in too short a period of time may result in denial, a hard INQ and/or an annotated account.

Gotta agree.  Never seen an automatic CLI every three months.  I'm sure it can happen, but it is not a hard and fast rule.

I had my account for about 14 months without a CLI and then one day while checking my credit reports I saw they raised my limit from $3.5k to $15k.  Astonished?  You bet!  I called to ask if they might not have made a mistake and the CSR told me, "We don't make mistakes." 

Hmmm.....    ARE YOU INSANE?  lol.  j/k, but really.  I would take my card into the bushes and hide.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thrasher865 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

DI wrote:
Discover gives auto increases every 3 months during the first year of opening the card

This is not consistent with most Discover cardholders recent experience. Discover rarely gives auto-CLI's, but does present a "Request CLI" option in the telephone menus (Option 5-2) when it is an appropriate time to request a CLI. This normally not occur until 6 months to one year after the account was opened. There have been other, lengthy threads presented here detailing the use of the telephone menu option, which is semi-auto and very easy. The few recent fully auto CLI's Discover has offered are a little bit out of the norm. Also, requesting too many CLI's from Discover in too short a period of time may result in denial, a hard INQ and/or an annotated account.

Gotta agree.  Never seen an automatic CLI every three months.  I'm sure it can happen, but it is not a hard and fast rule.

I had my account for about 14 months without a CLI and then one day while checking my credit reports I saw they raised my limit from $3.5k to $15k.  Astonished?  You bet!  I called to ask if they might not have made a mistake and the CSR told me, "We don't make mistakes." 

Hmmm.....    ARE YOU INSANE?  lol.  j/k, but really.  I would take my card into the bushes and hide.

I tend to agree with CWCD in that, IMO, Discover is a Grade A lender.

Yes, I did think twice before calling to ask, but then I figured that I'd rather know the truth instead of depending on a CL that could evaporate in an instant should they have really screwed up. 

Message 13 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:
Discover gives auto increases every 3 months during the first year of opening the card. 
Message Edited by DI on 11-19-2009 07:52 AM

Wow, DI....Discover loves you more than most.  I was told from the get-go by CSR's that they don't do CLI before 6 months.  Then I had to request (tele-auto method) and they gave me $2000 CLI.

The option of CLI remained available, so a month later I tried again and asked for another $1000.....denied.

So, I think that most people have to wait at least 6 months and then request via the auto phone method....and very few get auto-cli without request.

Count yourself lucky!  BTW:  What was your initial CL and what were your 3, 6, 9 and 12 month CLI's?

Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 55
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I still have the tele-option ever since my JUL09 CLI but I won't bother touching it until about FEB10. There is no reason to request a CLI when it is not likely to be successful and I firmly believe that Discover does not want to grant CLI's more than once every six months.
Message 15 of 55
DI
Super Contributor

I posted this back in JULY.  

Q. Why isn't my credit limit higher?

A. These are challenging times. Consumers and credit card companies alike are taking a look at spending, credit limits and how we manage our finances.  Consumers know they must be responsible spenders, just as financial institutions know they must be responsible lenders.

Because you've been approved as a Discover Cardmember, we know you have a good credit history. We want to make sure you enjoy all the great benefits you're entitled to, including potential to raise your credit limit. We will evaluate your Discover Card account every three months during the first year and periodically thereafter.  Then, based on your overall credit behavior and Discover Card usage, we may increase your credit line.

Discover Card and you...growing together

Message 16 of 55
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DI wrote:
Discover gives auto increases every 3 months during the first year of opening the card. 

Wow, DI....Discover loves you more than most.  I was told from the get-go by CSR's that they don't do CLI before 6 months.  Then I had to request (tele-auto method) and they gave me $2000 CLI.

The option of CLI remained available, so a month later I tried again and asked for another $1000.....denied.

So, I think that most people have to wait at least 6 months and then request via the auto phone method....and very few get auto-cli without request.

Count yourself lucky!  BTW:  What was your initial CL and what were your 3, 6, 9 and 12 month CLI's?

Smiley Happy

I opened the card July 2009 with an initial limit of $2500.  October I received a $900 CLI.  

Message Edited by DI on 11-20-2009 09:29 AM
Message 17 of 55
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Sounds like they were apologizing for not granting you a higher CL to begin with. They have you in a special program that txjohn and I are not in. Of course we got higher CL's to begin with and higher CLI's when we got them. You received a letter informing you, specifically, of how your CLI's were going to be handled. I would not extrapolate your terms to other's accounts. In general that's not the way it works.
Message 18 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DI wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DI wrote:

Smiley Happy

I opened the card July 2009 with an initial limit of $2500.  October I received a $900 CLI.  

Message Edited by DI on 11-20-2009 09:29 AM

Interesting.  Hmmmm.   I did not get the auto cli at 3 months or 6 months.  But they approved my request at 6 months.  I wonder why I did not get an auto-cli if they truly review if they were willing to give me one upon request for $2k?

I guess the thesis is:  Discover will review every 3 months, but only accept a customer request every 6.  They may elect to give an auto CLI at these internal review increments, but their failure to provide an auto-CLI does not mean they won't approve a request.

Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 55
DI
Super Contributor

Sounds like they were apologizing for not granting you a higher CL to begin with. They have you in a special program that txjohn and I are not in. Of course we got higher CL's to begin with and higher CLI's when we got them. You received a letter informing you, specifically, of how your CLI's were going to be handled. I would not extrapolate your terms to other's accounts. In general that's not the way it works.

That was a generic letter that was sent with the welcome package to all new cardholders.  I am on no special program.  A special program with Discover is non-existent. 

Message 20 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.