Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get aCLI by Discover?

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: How to get aCLI by Discover?

@Kay_Cee wrote:
So I opened the account in May and I got an automatic increase to my credit limit on 8/27, 3 months after I opened the account.  Today, I logged into my account saw another automatic limit increase effective 11/27, exactly three months later.  My line of credit with Discover started at $1,000 and was increased to $1,350 in August and $1,700 now.  Not huge but, I'll take it considering two years ago the only card I could get was a $300.00 Direct Merchants Bank DiscoverSmiley Happy.

Congrats!  As I was telling others, Discover gives CLI's every three months during the 1st year of opening the account.  The seasoned cardholders who received an initial higher CL are stuck with their CL.

Message 41 of 55
Kay_Cee
Regular Contributor

Thanks!  I just checked the phone menu and the option to request a CLI is still there but, I won't exercise the option.  I'm happy with the $45,000 + I have in available credit.  Again, three years ago all I could get was that $300 limit from HSBC.  It is from all the help I got here combined with some self-discipline that I am where I am.
Message 42 of 55
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

The seasoned cardholders who received an initial higher CL are stuck with their CL.

That seems to be true for me: approved 12/08 for $5490 (what's with the odd numbers?!) and I noticed the phone CLI option about 8 or 9 months in and that was good for another $2000 increase. No auto CLI for me, though I do hope with all the money I've put through them these past couple of months and my anniversary approaching, they remember me.

Oops...it was supposed to read 12/08

Message Edited by MrShush on 11-28-2009 10:15 AM
Message 43 of 55
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

@Kay_Cee wrote:
So I opened the account in May and I got an automatic increase to my credit limit on 8/27, 3 months after I opened the account.  Today, I logged into my account saw another automatic limit increase effective 11/27, exactly three months later.  My line of credit with Discover started at $1,000 and was increased to $1,350 in August and $1,700 now.  Not huge but, I'll take it considering two years ago the only card I could get was a $300.00 Direct Merchants Bank DiscoverSmiley Happy.

Congrats!  As I was telling others, Discover gives CLI's every three months during the 1st year of opening the account.  The seasoned cardholders who received an initial higher CL are stuck with their CL.

They do on certain accounts - just not all. If you have this in effect it was expressed in your approval letter. This is not generally true for all accounts.

As for being "stuck" I suppose I was. Stuck that is with a $8.1K initial CL and a $2K CLI at one year. There are other mechanisms available to the "seasoned" account holders for getting their CLI's beyond the auto-CLI.

Message 44 of 55
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@MrShush wrote:

@DI wrote:

The seasoned cardholders who received an initial higher CL are stuck with their CL.

That seems to be true for me: approved 12/09 for $5490 (what's with the odd numbers?!) and I noticed the phone CLI option about 8 or 9 months in and that was good for another $2000 increase. No auto CLI for me, though I do hope with all the money I've put through them these past couple of months and my anniversary approaching, they remember me.

If you want a CLI most likely you are going to have to ask for it using the telephone option method. Don't expect an auto-CLI.

Message 45 of 55
plasticguy
Established Contributor

if you call having 16K stuck then so be it? I started at 7500 in April 06
Message 46 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for 9540 CL about 3 months ago, so does that mean it will take atleast a year to get CLI? yikes.
Message 47 of 55
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@plasticguy wrote:
if you call having 16K stuck then so be it? I started at 7500 in April 06

Well you truly are "stuck" now. According to what we know of Discover's current guidelines $16K is the maximum CL they are giving out.

Smiley Wink

Message 48 of 55
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was approved for 9540 CL about 3 months ago, so does that mean it will take atleast a year to get CLI? yikes.

You do understand that by Discover's standards a $9,540 opening CL is world class, right?
Message 49 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

i doubt it is considered world class, when i apped i was around 750 FICO for EQ and TU. 1 30 day late from 6 yrs, 9 months ago, no baddies, no collections and no bk's.
Message 50 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.