cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get foot in the door with Discover & Amex?

tag
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get foot in the door with Discover & Amex?

Cap 1 is a "gateway" card, Like the above poster mentioned. If your not planning on getting any new cards for a year, your on your way for a a discover approval. Treat the current cards right, pay your balances down to 1-9%, and in a year, your chances of landing a Discover are pretty good. Of curse, as always, YMMV. 

Discover is great, im really enjoying it. As for Amex, that's a different beast. They won't even spit in my direction! So someone else I'm sure Will chime in on them.

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 11 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CYBERSAM wrote:

Looking at your score and CCs that you have, looks like you could border line qualify.
I got my Discover about same score as you and AMEX with 680 EX.

However I would not command taking a chance to app because if you don't get in then you may have to wait 6 months and should be qualified if you continue building your score way before that. All you need for your score to go up another 10 point or so to be sure.

Another thing, what is your Utilization %?

That's why I was thinking that being added as an AU may be a good idea.  Get my SS# into their systems (it would also slightly increase my AAoA and overall CL too) may be beneficial. 

My typical utilization is below 10%.  I never carry a balance on any card with an interest rate, everything is statement balance PIF every month.  The one exception to that right now is my QS1, which is interest free until Jan 2017.  It's currently at about 90% util, but I'm using it to pay off student loans early and avoid accruing additional interest on them.  But it will have a 0 blanance as of mid december (and will be completely paid off and recharged many times before that point) this year and stay empty for a month or so to make sure there is no retroactive interest charges once the 0% APR intro rate is up.

In my 3 years or so of rebuilding, I have paid exactly $0 in interest (probably why Barclay hates me)

Message 12 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to get in with AmEx I would try applying for one of their charge cards, as those are arguably easier to get approved for than revolvers since you PIF every month. If you get approved, if you apply for another AmEx card and get denied, it will only be a SP and won't affect your credit.

What's your EX score looking like? (EX is what AmEx pulls)

Another resource is looking at Credit Boards to see what kind of scores other people are getting approved with.

Message 13 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been trying to figure this out for a while. Did you try to apply for a secured discover card? As for amex, i think just time and good habits can get you in.

Message 14 of 47
NichelleN
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

"Getting in" with Capital One could be a path to other cards. Many of us who have been through rebuilding acquired the cards we could qualify for and used those wisely. It really does work.Smiley Happy

Well, I already have 2 Cap1 cards, and I'm looking to diversify my profile through other lenders.  I don't plan on applying for another card until next year, but I was wondering if the AU route would help to start getting pre-screened offers.

FYI - I have a Discover and an AMEX (Delta) but still get pre screened offers from credit one. They still haven't stopped sending me letters. Last week I received an offer for a PLATINUM credit one card Smiley Surprised

More than enough credit.
Message 15 of 47
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Maybe it will get you pre screened offers and maybe not. But pre screened offers aren't worth the paper their written on if your profile won't support approval. One thing being an AU with a card won't do is increase your odds of approval. Amex could care less if your an AU on one of their cards or not since its your score and overall profile that determines approval. People are approved for Amex and Discover everyday by cold apping. When your ready to apply for an Amex find the one that works for you and just apply, it's just a credit card at the end of the day.
Message 16 of 47
krisssmmm
Regular Contributor

I would say check and see if you're prequalified for Amex or Discover now. I wasn't even planning on applying since I'm still rebuilding, but I got a suggestion on Credit Karma (I know, not the most reliable) that I had Very Good chances for the Amex ED. I then double checked Amex site and I was pre qualified there as well. I took a chance and applied with instant approval. I was then reading up on the Secured Discover, and I apped for the Discover It card hoping I would get countered with the secured. I lucked out again and got approved for the unsecured card. My scores were 628 and I still have some baddies I need to get rid of. I could've waited until my file was perfect to get better interest rate and SL, but I'd rather be in.

Message 17 of 47
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you want to get in with AmEx I would try applying for one of their charge cards, as those are arguably easier to get approved for than revolvers since you PIF every month. If you get approved, if you apply for another AmEx card and get denied, it will only be a SP and won't affect your credit.

Another resource is looking at Credit Boards to see what kind of scores other people are getting approved with.

say what? reads like if I get a gold one month and denied a bce several months later is will not be a hp - this is not what you mean, right?

Message 18 of 47
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@omfgpart2 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

say what? reads like if I get a gold one month and denied a bce several months later is will not be a hp - this is not what you mean, right?

That's exactly what they are saying, it will be a SP. 

Message 19 of 47
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

@omfgpart2 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's exactly what they are saying, it will be a SP. 

hey there - ok its late and I probably did not have enough coffee this am - I have a prg, are you saying any amex card I apply for in the future will only be a sp?  color me surprised if this is true and do any other card outfits operate like this?  thank you!

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.