Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get in with a CU?

tag
Laurenlou
Regular Contributor

How to get in with a CU?

I keep reading about how CU are good to get in with when trying to rebuild. How do I find a good CU? Should I app online for a CC or go in? Do I have to set up a checking account with them? Theres one near me called EECU, but I can't find any info on them on whogavemecredit.com.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
spiritcraft1
Valued Contributor

Re: How to get in with a CU?

I see your EX score is best...  Is it clean?  I ask because with some improvement, you might look into Patelco...  they pull EX.    Do some searches for Patelco Credit Union

Biz |
Current F08 -
Current 2,4,5 -
Current F09 -
No PG Biz Credit in Order of Approval - Uline, Quill, Grainger, SupplyWorks, MSC, Amsterdam, Citi Tractor Supply Rev .8k, NewEgg Net 30 10k, Richelieu 2k, Wurth Supply 2k, Global Ind 2k, Sam's Club Store 11.k, Shell Fleet 19.5k, Citi Exxon 2.5k, Dell Biz Revolving $15k, B&H Photo, $5k

Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Laurenlou wrote:
I keep reading about how CU are good to get in with when trying to rebuild. How do I find a good CU? Should I app online for a CC or go in? Do I have to set up a checking account with them? Theres one near me called EECU, but I can't find any info on them on whogavemecredit.com.

There's many nationally recognized CUs mentioned here like NFCU, USAA, Justice, Penfed, Patelco, Christian Community CU, NASA, and others. Anybody can join any of these, with the exception of the first two (unless in uniform).

You usually have to fork out money to put into a share account, even as little as $5. Some memberships require you to join this org. or that, if you have no other means to join like family members who are members, etc. You can check each website for membership requirements. Once you join then you can app. And you can do so online for the above.

Then there are your local CUs. I never heard of EECU. But I'm sure they are good.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CUs around here let people app for things without opening an account. If they offer and you want the card, you have to open an account at the point. The two I use offer no fee savings accounts, one with a minimum of $25 balance, the other with $500 balance. Checking accounts were optional in both cases.

If you're worried about qualifying for a credit card, I would print off the credit reports and go in and talk about it. Maybe they can give you a good idea of whether you'll qualify without having to check your credit. If it's a strong no, then you won't have to get dinged for an inquiry for nothing. Another option would be a secured card that is reported.
Message 4 of 8
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

I apped for a loan with my local cu. They gave me such a great rate and were so friendly that I have also opened up a checking and savings with them. I am also going to get my car loan through them as well.
Message 5 of 8
SherriLynn
Regular Contributor

When I moved to Arizona, I joined the Arizona State Credit Union.  I thought you had to work for the state or something, but you just have to live in AZ.  It's been great and is currently offering 5% interest on my savings account.  I'm planning on applying for their credit card next year, if I can wait that long!
08/08 FICO TU649 EQ645 EX639
12/08 FICO TU665 EQ672 EX667
03/09 EQ650
App-free since 01/29/09
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow I love that 5% on the Arizonia CU wow stick with them, credit unions are the best Gl on your search im with NFCU in which you have to qualify by family in order to open!
Message 7 of 8
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow I love that 5% on the Arizonia CU wow stick with them, credit unions are the best Gl on your search im with NFCU in which you have to qualify by family in order to open!

NFCU rocks! Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.