cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of CSP?

tag
jessicaB

How to get rid of CSP?

I just got a replacement card for my CSP (old one was scratched) and I was wondering what to do with the old one?  They sent an envelope so I could mail the old one back (regular mail),but I dont want to risk it getting lost.   How do I destroy it? Can I just cut it with regular scissors since it's part metal? or should I take it to a bank?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: How to get rid of CSP?

See what happens when you burn off the plastic with a lighter?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 12
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@jessicaB wrote:

I just got a replacement card for my CSP (old one was scratched) and I was wondering what to do with the old one?  They sent an envelope so I could mail the old one back (regular mail),but I dont want to risk it getting lost.   How do I destroy it? Can I just cut it with regular scissors since it's part metal? or should I take it to a bank?

Thanks!!

Scissors probably won't do it, but if you're looking for something down this route shearers might work. You'll need something a bit more heavy-duty since normal scissors and paper shredders don't seem up to the task.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 3 of 12
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

FIRE FIRE FIRE says cornholio TP TP for my bung hole?

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 4 of 12
jessicaB

I have a full time job and I'm a full time student, no time to take it to the bank really, burning it starts to sound like a good idea! Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@jessicaB wrote:

Thanks!!

Send it back with the envelope provided - it shouldn't get lost.  However, if you don't feel comfortable going that route, take it to the branch.  Under ordinary means, you can't really destroy it (shredder won't work - maybe an industrial one).  Otherwise, if you have a blow torch, torch it!

Message 6 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Fire wont burn the metal, but itll distort the numbers, then you can send it back more comfortably
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Fire wont burn the metal, but itll distort the numbers, then you can send it back more comfortably

Message 8 of 12
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
See what happens when you burn off the plastic with a lighter?

+1!!! And a video to go with it... Smiley Happy Then send the metal back to them. 

Message 9 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@jessicaB wrote:

Thanks!!

Unless they asked Scotty to beam it to you, they sent it in an envelope twice and it arrived to you, correct? I always throw credit cards away without going through the chaos of cutting them up. I've never had any of the cards used at all. Even if they were, you have zero fraud liability, so there's nothing to worry about.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.