How to get rid of CSP?

I just got a replacement card for my CSP (old one was scratched) and I was wondering what to do with the old one?  They sent an envelope so I could mail the old one back (regular mail),but I dont want to risk it getting lost.   How do I destroy it? Can I just cut it with regular scissors since it's part metal? or should I take it to a bank?

Thanks!!

Senior Contributor

Re: How to get rid of CSP?

See what happens when you burn off the plastic with a lighter?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Contributor

jessicaB wrote:

I just got a replacement card for my CSP (old one was scratched) and I was wondering what to do with the old one?  They sent an envelope so I could mail the old one back (regular mail),but I dont want to risk it getting lost.   How do I destroy it? Can I just cut it with regular scissors since it's part metal? or should I take it to a bank?

Thanks!!

Scissors probably won't do it, but if you're looking for something down this route shearers might work. You'll need something a bit more heavy-duty since normal scissors and paper shredders don't seem up to the task.

FICOs: EX: 826, EQ: 817, TU: 810
Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL
Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank American Airlines Executive World Elite MasterCard - $22,500 CL
J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Frequent Contributor

FIRE FIRE FIRE says cornholio TP TP for my bung hole?

Amx BCE-12000,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-5600
Credit Union Visa-1200
Discover-6400, Khols-1000

I have a full time job and I'm a full time student, no time to take it to the bank really, burning it starts to sound like a good idea! :smileyvery-happy:

Valued Contributor

jessicaB wrote:

Thanks!!

Send it back with the envelope provided - it shouldn't get lost.  However, if you don't feel comfortable going that route, take it to the branch.  Under ordinary means, you can't really destroy it (shredder won't work - maybe an industrial one).  Otherwise, if you have a blow torch, torch it!

Senior Contributor

Fire wont burn the metal, but itll distort the numbers, then you can send it back more comfortably
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Contributor

youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Fire wont burn the metal, but itll distort the numbers, then you can send it back more comfortably

Established Contributor

youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
See what happens when you burn off the plastic with a lighter?

+1!!! And a video to go with it... :smileyhappy: Then send the metal back to them. 

Valued Contributor

jessicaB wrote:

Thanks!!

Unless they asked Scotty to beam it to you, they sent it in an envelope twice and it arrived to you, correct? I always throw credit cards away without going through the chaos of cutting them up. I've never had any of the cards used at all. Even if they were, you have zero fraud liability, so there's nothing to worry about.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.