Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get to that elusive 5000$ card!!!! Can anyone help

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: How to get to that elusive 5000$ card!!!! Can anyone help

@Anonymous wrote:
What do I have to do to get to 5000cl???

Underwriting criteria can and does vary from creditor to creditor so there isn't one thing that would apply to all creditors.  All you can do is use the known info on the standard factors to build your credit.  It's a long, slow process.  Generally, a given credit profile will only support so much recent activity and you may not be seeing any offers based on recent activity for your credit profile.

@Jeff532003 wrote:
NRB your giving very old information.

How much a given creditor is willing to extend to a certain profile can certainly change over the short term such as it has with CO.  However, NRB's comment about recent activity is always valid.  Recent activity is a risk factor.  A stronger, established profile can handle more than a weaker, thinner profile.  The OP is probably at a point where even the lenient creditors may not be willing to accept the risk.  It's not simply a matter of applying for the right card or with the right creditor.  One still has to qualify.

@NRB525 wrote:

Amex, on the other hand, may start you out with $2k or $1k, but then it is just up to your usage and the 3X CLI to grow it.

With any creditor the primary factors are credit and income for both initial limits and CLI's.  Usage can help in some cases but it will not overrule those primary factors.  Far too many here rely on usage alone.  People get denials as well as CLI's with high usage.  People also get CLI's (and denials) without high usage.  However, no one gets CLI's without qualifying credit and income.

Message 31 of 55
baller4life
Super Contributor

Look OP, I wasn't prequal either for Cap One. Nothing ever came up. But,I knew my scores were good enough. So,even with a 6 yr old Cap One CO, I cold apped just a few weeks ago and got $15k Venture and $10k QS. So, just because you're not prequalified doesn't mean you won't be approved.
Message 32 of 55
redpat
Senior Contributor

And around and around we go.......

OP, research credit pull data base and see scores that have qualified.  If you see scores similar to yours apply.  At the end of the day it cost you the dreaded CO three pull but aleast you will get what you are looking for, not the end of the world.  Remember risk/reward, you will never know until you apply.

Everyone told you the best result for a 5k cl.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 33 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well Gmood, I figure I'd at least try citi since I was already a card member with them since2012 with the diamond preferred and was approved for Simplicity for 3900. My dp is at 3100 so they bested it by a whopping 800....Still not 5000. Citi has a really tight tush ..... haha
Message 34 of 55
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Why are yo so hard pressed about a $5k line?

Message 35 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because theres a 3000 purchase I want to make and don't want to max out current cards
Message 36 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well peeps I took the plunge for the amex as suggested and low and behold 2000sl. Cant even get amex to give me a decent sl. Oh well I'll try 61 day increase after I get it to see if that works.
Message 37 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Well peeps I took the plunge for the amex as suggested and low and behold 2000sl. Cant even get amex to give me a decent sl. Oh well I'll try 61 day increase after I get it to see if that works.

The primary suggestion in this thread was the Cap One Venture. Not sure why you didn't app for it.

Message 38 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still a little gun shy becaude of old co but I still have one more trade still to report 0balance on cr,maybe when my points hit for that, I'll give it a try. Dont know if it matters now because I've gotten maybe 6hp past month on apps.
Message 39 of 55
parkbuilder
Regular Contributor

I caught myself asking the same thing! I had one store card with a $3200 limit and my highest credit card was only at $1500. I refinanced one of our vehicles with Notre Dame Federal Credit Union and asked about credit card options. I decided to apply and they approved me with $5000 @12% with 1% for the first six months. They pulled Transunion and my score was 650.

Starting Score: TU 649 EX 632 EQ 603(6/15)
Current Score: TU 664 EX 666 EQ 637 (9/15)
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.