cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get your true Experian fico score!!

tag
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

How to get your true Experian fico score!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to obtain my true EX score today!  I was approved for a AMEX gold delta card and decided to call the new accounts department.  I kindly asked for the experian score they based their decision off of.  After checking with a manager, she said no problem!!

My experian score used by AMEX: 675

My score obtained from Experian.com on the same day before applying was: 699

A 24 point difference!!

I hope this helps to get a better idea of where you stand!!

Anyone else receive their score this way? And how did it compare to score obtained through EX?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: How to get your true Experian fico score!!

I also got my EX score from Amex. My real FICO from Amex was 747, and the score I got directly from EX was 728, 19 points lower than the real FICO.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked for my score when I was approved for the AmEx Blue Cash 3/11 and I also asked when I was approved for the AmEx PR Gold 7/11, and I was told they can not disclose that info over the phone, it wasn't until I apped for the Blue Cash Preferred 10/11 and was approved, a week later I received a Congratulations letter from AmEx and in that letter it contained my EX FICO.

You got lucky, or I just did not try hard enough when I asked??

Message 3 of 12
andre181
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I asked for my score when I was approved for the AmEx Blue Cash 3/11 and I also asked when I was approved for the AmEx PR Gold 7/11, and I was told they can not disclose that info over the phone, it wasn't until I apped for the Blue Cash Preferred 10/11 and was approved, a week later I received a Congratulations letter from AmEx and in that letter it contained my EX FICO.

You got lucky, or I just did not try hard enough when I asked??

I also had to wait for the letter

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My EX scoe from Experian is 727, while my FICO EX score is only 678.

I think that's because they has quite a different evaluation method for the credit score computation. As far as I know, the real FICO score is very " inquiry sensitive" which mean that if you applied your credit card too frequently, it's gonna lower your score significantly.
Message 5 of 12
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

What's the difference between an EX score and EX fico score?  Now I'm confused.  I get my monthly Experian score through my U.S. bank credit card.  How can I tell if this is real or not?  I usually sign in through a link in the email they send and it takes me to the Experian site.

Starting Score: TU: 663 EQ: 632 EX: ?
Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)
Goal Score: 700 (ALL)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
andre181
Established Contributor

@crazysxycool wrote:

What's the difference between an EX score and EX fico score?  Now I'm confused.  I get my monthly Experian score through my U.S. bank credit card.  How can I tell if this is real or not?  I usually sign in through a link in the email they send and it takes me to the Experian site.

That is not a FICO score but some type of FAKO score, probably a Experian PLUS score. Anytime you score comes directly from EX, its not a FICO.

Message 7 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@crazysxycool wrote:

The score that you get from the EX site is their home-grown FAKO score. It is NOT a FICO score, period.

Experian unilaterally pulled out of letting consumers buy our own EX FICO score several years ago. Two possible reasons: the bureaus have to share what we pay for FICO scores with FICO, and they didn't wanna, and they wanted to sell their own non-FICO scores to confused consumers. They also sell them to banks (like yours), so they get money even when you aren't paying for the FAKO score directly. And since the score comes from their own proprietary formula, they don't have to share the profits with anyone.

Note: when we buy a FICO score from myfico, they have to share the money with the bureau. It's a joint agreement, working both ways, which is why FICO scores cost more.

eta: andre181 out-typed me!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 12
Blackmarble18

Hey everyone I have a somewhat weird story. I applied for my Amex BCE card and was instantly approved with a 3k limit and 17.99% apr. I received all my information in the mail the next week and it told me My EX Fico score was 765 I was over the moon! At the time my Ex Plus Score was a 732 33point difference.  Anyway, I convinced my room mate to get the same card and he applied a week after I got my card. He was approved with a 2500 limit and 18% or 20% interest rate( I can't remember but I know mine was lower). The weird part is that we had the same Score our Ficos were both 765. I don't get it Is this just super random or could there have been a mistake somewhere? He had the same score but higher interest rate. 

Starting Score: (Fico) EX 537 (Fico) TU 537 (Fico) EQ 548 6/19/11
Current Score: (Fico) Ex 719 (Fico) TU 680 (Fico) EQ 720
Goal Score: EX 800 EQ 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

@Blackmarble18 wrote:

Hey everyone I have a somewhat weird story. I applied for my Amex BCE card and was instantly approved with a 3k limit and 17.99% apr. I received all my information in the mail the next week and it told me My EX Fico score was 765 I was over the moon! At the time my Ex Plus Score was a 732 33point difference.  Anyway, I convinced my room mate to get the same card and he applied a week after I got my card. He was approved with a 2500 limit and 18% or 20% interest rate( I can't remember but I know mine was lower). The weird part is that we had the same Score our Ficos were both 765. I don't get it Is this just super random or could there have been a mistake somewhere? He had the same score but higher interest rate. 

Its hard to compare directly with amex. They have thier own internal stuff in addition to the fico score. With a 765 there were other things that they took into account or you would have gotten much better rates. They are a great company but trying to figure them out could make one a bit crazy.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.