Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve credit scores using a credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to improve credit scores using a credit card

I recently obtained a Captial One Platinum secured credit card. It has a 300 credit limit. This is my first credit card. I recently applied for a mortgage loan and the broker told me I was 20 points from the FICO score needed to be approved. He suggested I get a credit card and pay on time each month in order to increase my scores.

My statement due is 2/8 each month. My minimum payment due is $25. My question is how much should I charge each month and when. Also what date should I pay each month in order to increase my scores.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: How to improve credit scores using a credit card

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently obtained a Captial One Platinum secured credit card. It has a 300 credit limit. This is my first credit card. I recently applied for a mortgage loan and the broker told me I was 20 points from the FICO score needed to be approved. He suggested I get a credit card and pay on time each month in order to increase my scores.

My statement due is 2/8 each month. My minimum payment due is $25. My question is how much should I charge each month and when. Also what date should I pay each month in order to increase my scores.

Thanks in advance

First off, make sure to pay your current balance in full.

You can charge as much as you want on the card (keep in mind your CL though), but it's recommended not to max it out and ALWAYS pay your balance in full before the due date...have the card report 1-9% of $300 by the statement date...so say for example you put $50 on the card during a particular billing period...by the statement date, make sure only $27 or less reports to the credit bureaus. Then, pay all of that in full by the very latest on the due date for that billing period.

Message 2 of 8
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Keep total utilization below 10% at all times, get another CC because one will not help improve quickly. Try to put down a higher DP for a higher credit line IMO

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@chnceit wrote:

Keep total utilization below 10% at all times, get another CC because one will not help improve quickly. Try to put down a higher DP for a higher credit line IMO

OP needs to be pooling cash for mortgage process.  Can increase the deposit later, especially as the CL has no impact on FICO at all when managed properly.

        
Message 4 of 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Honestly, you can charge up to 80%. 90% is considered maxed out so leave a cushion between that limit of 10-15%. Always pay in full every month.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Oh and make sure your payment is before the statement cuts.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 6 of 8
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

OP needs to be pooling cash for mortgage process.  Can increase the deposit later, especially as the CL has no impact on FICO at all when managed properly.

I agree to your statement that CL does not play a role, but having two or multiple TL's reporting with history does. Plus a higher CL will help overall UTI if a higher balance is reported by accident IMO

But your right save your money for a DP on your new house.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for all of the sound advice!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.