Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep everything in order

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to keep everything in order

I set reminders for a few days before in my phone Calendar with an alert.  Not only does it pop up on my phone, but it also pops up on my Apple watch.   This in addition to using Mint on my phone too.

Message 31 of 43
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

Excel, Auto Payments, use apps that are able to sync up all bills, accounts, etc.

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 32 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Abelcrdn wrote:
Hey guys! So thanks to this forum I Have acquired all the cards I have wanted and needed so now just letting them age, my question is what ways do you do to keep your accounts organized so no payments are missed?

I use Banktivity (https://www.iggsoftware.com). If you want to download data from banks (including CC companies) you'll have to pay a subscription, but it makes my life easier. I just have to open the app and wait a couple minutes to download all the data (all credit cards, checking, savings, IRA, 529, brokerage etc.). It learns the spending categories and it's a snap to analyze spending. You can create budgets and/or reminders to help you not to forget to pay your bills. You can even pay bills from inside the app, but I don't use this feature.

Message 33 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 'system' is to obsesively check my accounts!

Message 34 of 43
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

The best tool I have is my calendar.  I put every bill that I have as a recurring event on my calendar with notifications.  If the bill set to auto-pay, the event says so and has no reminders.  For all bills I have to pay manually, I change the tile to "PAID" and remove reminders for the event so I know its been paid.

As for my credit cards specifically, I have all of my cards (except Blispay) set to auto-pay the statement balance.  My utilizaton is fine enough that I am not concerned paying off every transaction as they post.  I have a spreadsheet for my budget, that I update once a week with all of my transactions for the week.  It has a formula that tells me if any credit card is not "zereo'd" out so I know if I overspent or something.  It also has a cool little formula that tells me how long it has been since my last HP.  I've tried Mint, but the thing I love about a spreadsheet is that I can customize it however I want.  Also, unlike some people, I actually enjoy updating my budget.

P.S. Elim has a seriously remarkable spreadhseet.  I thought I was decent Excel, but you have some seriously great formulas in there!

Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried using elm's, I had to dumb it down a little for me. Im not that smart Smiley LOL

I can't get the cells to do what i want without breaking something so I just log into everything and manually put it in once a week lmao

Message 36 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Abelcrdn wrote:
Are the closing dates available to view on every statement or is it something I need to find out? That's actually a good idea. I check them everyday since it just takes a finger print scan at this point to get logged into to apps. So if I setup an auto pay as a backup but pay multiple times in the month it won't pull anything on said due date since they min would have most likely been met with said payments?

Yes, with autopay set up, they'll just deduct any payments made before that from the amount that gets paid via autopay. For a lot of people (like me), autopay is mostly just a back-up protection that often doesn't actually get used. It mostly gets used, I assume, on sockdrawer cards paying small bills, and for those that have high enough limits that they don't need or care to micromanage.

Message 37 of 43
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Pick a day of the week to log into your account. I personally do so more often but if you log in once a week (say Saturday morning) you will keep an eye on things, avoid missing due dates (I pay the day a bill arrives) and pick up any fraudulent activity. 

I also use YNAB and it pulls in most of my accounts automatically so I can double check transactions and stay on budget (usually).

Message 38 of 43
Gggmen
Valued Member

The mint app seems to work well for me. Just link all of your accounts cc, checking ect and it has all payments and due dates available.
Message 39 of 43
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I'm kinda paranoid about letting any program/app have access to my financial information which is why I don't use them.
Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.