Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Citi like me?

tag
skigirl916
Established Contributor

How to make Citi like me?

So, I'm a little bitter when it comes to Citi.

I've been banking with them for almost two decades. I have a pristine relationship with them. Absolutely perfect. I have one credit card with them, the Universal Thank You Rewards. When they issued it to me in 1997, it had a 2500 limit. At one point around 2003, it had a 2200 balance that was quickly paid down (used it for moving expenses; company only took a card and I didn't know better to pay it before statement hit).

In 2008, they unilaterally CLD'd me to $520 (my balance at the time) when my FICO dropped 30 points from a missed student loan payment.

For the past year, I've tried to CLI - always denied until recently when they raised me to $1320. Such a weird limit. I tried to recon that and get more, and they said no. My CRs still show $2200 as the high balance, despite it not being that high in 11 years. Can they do that??

Earlier last month, around the same time as my CLI, I tried for the Citi Simplicity card. Denied.

All the while, I added $20K in limits to my profile.

**bleep** is their problem?

How do I get them to give me more?! Or another card?!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: How to make Citi like me?

Have you contacted EO? They are very friendly.

Message 2 of 16
b_diddy
Established Contributor

Sounds like Citi doesn't care much about existing relationships based on many posts I've read here ... have you tried EO to go over how loyal a customer you've been?  At some point, you may have to just move on to greener pastures.

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 3 of 16
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

High balance is the highest balance an account that has ever carried, and yes, it'll continue to report even after 11 years.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with Citi to begin with.

Message 4 of 16
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Can someone PM me the EO number?
Message 5 of 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

There is a number listed in backdoor numbers if that helps.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 16
Jlu
Established Contributor

@skigirl916 wrote:
Can someone PM me the EO number?

I PM'd you my private contact at the real executive office.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 7 of 16
chalupaman
Super Contributor

EO is your best bet. Citi sucks at recons but they did reduce my APR when I did that. Now my Citi card is basically in the sock drawer.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's so strange to read so many people that get CLD/Balance Chased. I've carried balances on several cards for years. I pay them off and I've never had any CLD (other than my Best Buy Credit Card).

As far as the OP, like others have said, I'd just leave Citi alone if they're not offering you anything. Their products aren't as good as their competitors at the moment (other than the Double Cash, perhaps). I suppose the EO could be a last resort. If that fails, just SD it and move on.

Message 9 of 16
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

I guess Citi humans like me more than their computers.  I tried to close my account yesterday and they asked why.  I said because I was turned down for a CLI the day before and I really don't need the CC.  They said what if we can raise it to $10K from $6100.  I said sure and they raised my CL.  I still want to drop a couple of my accounts.  Probably Barclay and either Cap One or Discover.  I just have no need for all this credit.  

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.