Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pay down cards? What order?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to pay down cards? What order?

I have 3 credit cards that are maxed. I have funds to pay all of them down or I could pay one or two off completely. That would leave one maxed out. What should I do? I'm trying to improve scores. They are all in the 675 range.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to pay down cards? What order?

If you have the funds available that wont drain you in other areas of your life, i would pay them all down, maybe leave like 10 bucks on one. You should see a nice jump in score. If it were me id prefer not to be maxed and not enslaved to the credit cards

Pay them off and set to put your mind in the mode only put on the cards what you can pay off at the end of the month. This way you stablish good credit habits and dont end up maxed again or end up paying tons in interest. Just my average pennies for SaturdwySmiley Wink
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay all down below 74% utilization first, then use the rest to pay off the highest interest rate, then use the rest to pay off the next highest interest rate.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would personally pay them all off if you have the funds available. Or if you want one reporting pay all but 1 down and leave maybe a few bucks on it. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Start paying off the highest interest card. for rest pay at least min pmt. Cut all the cards and securely destroy them so that you cant use them until pay off. Good luck

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.