Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to play the credit card game?

tag
localuser
Regular Contributor

Re: How to play the credit card game?

I think I am seeing to different points being made here..
1. PIF before the statement cuts
2. Let the statement cut then PIF.  

I currently have a Slate and waiting (been waiting) on a Cap1 Secured Card both have $200 balances.  So my plan (please correct me if I am wrong)

1 & 3 week use the slate PIF on Friday(s)
2 & 4 week use Cap1 PIF on Friday(s)

Garden for 6 months then maybe asks for CLI's.  I will have a baby by then so I might just keep digging Smiley Happy

My goal is to raise my score period.  My wife has two $3300 (freedom and slate) cards so in an emergency we're okay.

Or vica versa depending on when Cap1 is due.  I bank with Chase so its very easy for me to pay it. I check my account a few times a day while slow @ work.

Cap1Secured $700 | Chase Slate $700 | Amazon Store $5000 | Discover IT $7000 | Lowe's $8000 | AmEx BCE $20000 | Freedom $3000
November 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 717 TransUnion 725 Experian 717
January 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 675 TransUnion 661 Experian 723
Message 11 of 28
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Use heavily and PIF works the best for me.

Message 12 of 28
AvaMommy
Frequent Contributor

When you let the balances report FICO calculates your UTL as high...whiich inturn mean risk and low FICO score.

PIF before the statement cut. You can call the ccc and ask when does the billing cycle end or look on your statement if you have not recieved your statement yet then call. Never let your balance report on all your cards. Best bet is to have a UTL lower than 10% on 1 cards and thoers report 0

Hope this helps...thats the true way I have used to maximize my FICO score

Starting Score: FAKO: TU 602 EQ 550 EX 565 - 08|2012
Current Score: MyFICO: TU 633 EQ 637 EX 669 (AMEX PULL)09|2012
Goal Score: 700 across the board In my wallet: NFCU cashRewards 12000CL, NFCU LOC 10K CL, BofA cashRewards 5000CL, BofA PP 3000CL, JAREDS (AU) 1500CL, SEARS (AU) 7000CL
Under my mattress: Orchard Bank 320CL and Saks Fifth Avenue 100CL. Finally in the Garden. App Free Since 9/18/12 - No apps until March 2013
Message 13 of 28
localuser
Regular Contributor

Ive been using about 30% so roughly 60 bucks then paying it in Full..  Will this also work?

Cap1Secured $700 | Chase Slate $700 | Amazon Store $5000 | Discover IT $7000 | Lowe's $8000 | AmEx BCE $20000 | Freedom $3000
November 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 717 TransUnion 725 Experian 717
January 2014 (myFICOs): Equifax 675 TransUnion 661 Experian 723
Message 14 of 28
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

The only time that it is actually necessary to worry about whether or not your pay before the statement cuts is if you are fine tuning your utilization for a higher FICO score.  Unless you are tuning it for apping, a new car, a mortgage, or you are like many of us and just a little OCD about your FICO score, you do not need to be concerned with paying before the statement cut date.  The cc companies (for the purposes of a relationship, not apping) are only interested in whether you pay your balance or at least more than the minimum before the due date.  And yes, they do like to see heavy usage, but responsible usage.

Message 15 of 28
AvaMommy
Frequent Contributor

@localuser wrote:

Ive been using about 30% so roughly 60 bucks then paying it in Full..  Will this also work?

If you want to "raise your score period" as you stated use what you can handle and PIF before your statement cut to see the rise...however its not going to rise that high; however, over the course of good payment and usage and PIF (6 months to a yr) you will see more than what you see now....Hope this helps

Starting Score: FAKO: TU 602 EQ 550 EX 565 - 08|2012
Current Score: MyFICO: TU 633 EQ 637 EX 669 (AMEX PULL)09|2012
Goal Score: 700 across the board In my wallet: NFCU cashRewards 12000CL, NFCU LOC 10K CL, BofA cashRewards 5000CL, BofA PP 3000CL, JAREDS (AU) 1500CL, SEARS (AU) 7000CL
Under my mattress: Orchard Bank 320CL and Saks Fifth Avenue 100CL. Finally in the Garden. App Free Since 9/18/12 - No apps until March 2013
Message 16 of 28
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

@AZHeather wrote:

The only time that it is actually necessary to worry about whether or not your pay before the statement cuts is if you are fine tuning your utilization for a higher FICO score.  Unless you are tuning it for apping, a new car, a mortgage, or you are like many of us and just a little OCD about your FICO score, you do not need to be concerned with paying before the statement cut date.  The cc companies (for the purposes of a relationship, not apping) are only interested in whether you pay your balance or at least more than the minimum before the due date.  And yes, they do like to see heavy usage, but responsible usage.

+1. You have to keep in mind what your particular goal is. For example, I am not in the market for any major (car/house) purchase. So for me, the only purpose in paying before the statement date, and letting minimum amounts report is if I was trying to get my score as high as possible. For me, I try to PIF before the statement because I have alot of cards, and sometimes will use one and forget about it until the statement comes if I don't PIF as soon as it posts on the account. But I also work in front of a computer all day, so I can check balances, pay bills, etc. and read My Fico throughout the day. Smiley Happy  For a person that is less OCD, this method may not work. I do keep my utilization low (it is 4-5% at the moment).

If you are apping for something soon (in the next 6 months or so), limited utilization (>9%) is one of the main ways to increase your score. If not, just regular, responsible usage is fine. The OP was maily concerned about building a relationship to grow their credit line. You have to use the card to show you need a higher limit (in most cases). And the higher you limits get with the few cards you get, the higher limits you will eventually be granted by other creditors.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 17 of 28
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

The OP was maily concerned about building a relationship to grow their credit line. You have to use the card to show you need a higher limit (in most cases). And the higher you limits get with the few cards you get, the higher limits you will eventually be granted by other creditors.

I am mainly concerned with establishing postive credit history with my lender. For example one of my cards is Capitol One and I have a 7.5k limit and I have used 500. I was trying to decide whether I should pay it off or pay most of it. I have been using the card alot for mostly small purchases and bills.

Message 18 of 28
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

Does the PIF method of one card affect other lender's decisions to either increase your limit on another card or to upgrade?

Message 19 of 28
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

They look at the history of your use/payment history of their card first and foremost; but yes, they take into consideration your entire credit file when reviewing for a CLI.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.