Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to recon

tag
squirrely2005
Contributor

How to recon

I plan on trying it sometime. 

What usually shows up is my high util and my late payment pasy 60 days and sometimes having too many inquires. 

Any advice would be great. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
logan_720
Established Contributor

Re: How to recon

Tomorrow, if I have enough courage Smiley Embarassed I am going to attempt to recon a Chase Slate card that had initially been decline. Hopefully my always on time payment history is low utilization will help me out a bit. I'll keep you posted to what they say, and how the conversation went.

Message 2 of 9
squirrely2005
Contributor

That would be cool. Thanks. 

I always have problems with talking to people on the phone. Just because I'm a CS Rep at QVC and people are something else on the phone. So it kind of even stresses me out to call. Not that my job is terrible. I go to work in basketball shorts everyday(I live in TX so yeah even now haha). I don't know what it is about me that I don't like to call but I don't so I'm just looking forward to having a gameplan when I call I guess. 

Message 3 of 9
logan_720
Established Contributor

I know what you mean. I've tried reconning with Chase before, which was not successful. This forum is a great place to read on different strategies, but something that's missing are specifics like things to say, etc. it's always good to tell the, the truth, so we shall see!
Message 4 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

What you say when you recon is really going to depend on your situation and the CCC. Some don't really recon well and others do. Basically, you'll need to address the specific reasons that they gave you for denial, which are usually in the letter they send. Sometimes you can recon w/o the letter; it depends on the CCC. But you'll need to explain why you have the problems they saw on your CR and hope for someone who will override the decision.

I've tried to recon GE both w/Old Navy and Walmart (for CLIs, not denial of card) without any luck. I was able to recon Barclay's for a higher CL after approval, but everyone here was doing that and most were successful. It was really a matter of answering the guy's questoins about what I wanted the CC for, why I had gotten so many new CCs in a short time, etc. Those were the issues they had with MY CR. Yours will be different.

It's really better to pay down your util before you plan on apping. I'd also try to GW the 60-day lates. If you can get your CR in better shape BEFORE you apply, then you won't need to recon. And if you have those issues, a recon might not help.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 9
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

Honestly, a lot of times it's just luck unless you have a really good excuse. I had to recon twice with Barlcays before getting approved...the first guy was nice, but wouldn't budge. The second guy was really nice and really personable; we actually got into a conversation and everything about school and stuff at one point. I think with the little conversation we had (more than just small talk) he was able to better see that I'm not some stupid kid desperate to grab up some credit, but that I actually knew what I was talking about and all that. 

My advice would just to be as nice as possible, because ultimately it's their decision on whether or not they want to approve you, or even if they want to bother and ask their supervisor if it's not up to them. I think if you can really talk to them on a personal level and explain everything, they can better gauge you as a person and decide if they want to approve. 

Be friendly and truthful. And if at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. Smiley Wink Sometimes it takes 3 or 4 times to get that right person having a good day, willing to take a chance on you. 

Photobucket
Message 6 of 9
logan_720
Established Contributor

What do you suggest to say for a denial due to inquiries? IMO aren't those, when sitting next to excellent payment history and low utilization, sort of a smaller dent in your report compared to having maybe something like a bankruptcy?
Message 7 of 9
squirrely2005
Contributor

Well with inquires I have 11 but 2 come off by mid march. So my oldest will ended being from June which is a cap1 card I have now. 5 would be from me applying for a car loan from different places. Then 3 other cards and a CLI. 

On my ex there are a lot less. 6 after March and two are for a car and one for Verizon which I think is reasonable. 

Real strange thing is that there are inquiries from GE for a care credit card that aren't on either or my Jcrew but I plan to bring those up to show that I'm honest and am not trying to hide anything. 

Message 8 of 9
logan_720
Established Contributor

@squirrely2005 wrote:

I plan on trying it sometime. 

What usually shows up is my high util and my late payment pasy 60 days and sometimes having too many inquires. 

Any advice would be great. 

We're you planning on trying to recon with a specific bank? And if so, which card?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.