Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sneak new cards into the house?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to sneak new cards into the house?

Without alarming your significant other to your new hobby/addiction.

when I told my BF about my second card he stated I already had one. How will I deflect a reaction to having my next three in the mail.

Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: How to sneak new cards into the house?

@Anonymous wrote:

when I told my BF about my second card he stated I already had one. How will I deflect a reaction to having my next three in the mail.

"Wow, they are giving free sample credit cards now!"

Of course, as a responsible person I should remind viewers everywhere that it is important to have a good trusting relationship with your significant other, with no important secrets witheld.    So decide if you have a credit card addiction, or if he has a pathological fear of credit cards, and take it from there.

Message 2 of 57
elim
Senior Contributor

let him know you are establishing a monster credit file to be credit independent if he... lets say...  "slips up"

Message 3 of 57
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Frankly, its none of his business, and sounds a bit controlling. You've worked hard to rebuild or build and get the cards you want, that's your business. Personally... I'd never be with a man who told me I couldn't have a card, or have to hide it from him for fear of backlash. I'd be honest and straightforward and say straight up...." I've got 3 more coming, but I'm done for awhile". Leave it at that
Message 4 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly what I was thinking when I was apping.  I just get nervous and so much anxiety. I feel like I have to defend what I'm doing

Message 5 of 57
NRB525
Super Contributor

It looks like your Goal Statement in your Siggy says it all. Is BF on the same page to do what it takes to build up a good FICO score for a house purchase? Perhaps this is a "teaching moment".

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 57
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

"Wow, they are giving free sample credit cards now!"

Of course, as a responsible person I should remind viewers everywhere that it is important to have a good trusting relationship with your significant other, with no important secrets witheld.    So decide if you have a credit card addiction, or if he has a pathological fear of credit cards, and take it from there.

LOL! Smiley LOL I like the first idea!

But really, I agree that you should be upfront and trusting with your significant other about these kinds of things. As long as you are handling your credit responsibly and not applying for credit cards needlessly, then you have nothing to worry about. And from what I can tell from your sig, you seem to be very responsible because you have a goal of getting your FICO's up in time to purchase a house in the future.

It's true that there is still a lot of stigma going around where people think that just because you have a lot of credit cards that you are in debt (or will soon be in debt). This assumption couldn't be further from the truth. There are plenty of great perks to playing the credit card game. It's true that if you're not a responsible person that you can get into debt issues. So that's why it's important to treat credit responsibly and not to buy things (or app for more cards) that you simply don't need. 

If you have this talk with him as to the benefits of the cards and you demonstrate your fiscal responsibility, there shouldn't be any reason for him to freak out. Credit in the hands of a responsible person is invaluable. 

Message 7 of 57
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP... You've done great, and its all been without his help or input, you certainly don't need it now, or his approval. Be mindful of what he says and does now in a relationship, because it won't change and you shouldn't have to defend your every action! It's your credit reports and file, not his, and it doesn't affect him personally. Now if you're going to purchase a home together, then it only affects the scores, not him personally!
Message 8 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 on first idea.
Message 9 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open and honest. He might have a good reason, such as a family member that went on a spree and then went bankrupt. Or he might not know about the differences between cards, or the benefits (and drawbacks). My wife was dead set against credit cards until we sat down and talked about it, because her father is basically bankrupt from overspending. So, while it may come off as controlling, it may just be concern, and a good conversation, laying out your plans for responsible use, could go a long way to making him feel better and understand what's going on. 

Or, he could be a giant jerk, in which case you should dump him. But, talk to him first. 

Message 10 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.