Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stay in the garden

tag
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to stay in the garden

Well, it helps when your scores are low enough that you know you can't get just any card you want. Smiley Frustrated

But seriously, as I'm planning an upcoming app spree and fighting the urge to add more and more cards to the list, I keep telling myself that it's better to get just a few cards at a time so that I can stagger the %0 APR intro periods. I don't plan on carrying balances normally, but I do have some relatively big items (furniture) to buy over the next several months.

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 41 of 53
travisr0
Contributor

Just keep thinking how gratifying it is to get those fancy new signatures in your profile right. I have a silver right now and gets easier as time goes by. The first 60 days is the hardest !

Experian 756 // Equifax 764 // Transunion 759 // AAoA 5.7 years

Message 42 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@travisr0 wrote:

Just keep thinking how gratifying it is to get those fancy new signatures in your profile right. I have a silver right now and gets easier as time goes by. The first 60 days is the hardest !

No really THAT fancy though.  Imagine how much better a brand new cc image (or three or four) would look in the sig!

Message 43 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me rephrase the question:

"How to stay in the garden when the Amazon store card is now offering 5% cashback and I shop a lot on Amazon"

Message 44 of 53
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

The struggle is real.

Message 45 of 53
celluloid17
Established Contributor

I've been in the garden for nearly ten months now.  It's been relatively easy for me since I'm covered in terms of rewards potential with my current cards and I'm enjoying watching cash/points amass from using a few of my favorites most frequently.  I actually regret my last app (Fidelity Amex) and wish I had fewer cards in general.  After the initial thrill of apping and receiving the new card in the mail, it then becomes just another account to manage.  I have no plans to app for anything anytime soon unless a travel opportunity presents itself and I need a widely accepted card with no FTF (which I don't currently have) or if one my current cards gets nerfed to the point of being useless.  I'm still waiting to see what will happen with my Costco Amex as that might precipitate a new app next year...

Message 46 of 53
onstar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Let me rephrase the question:

"How to stay in the garden when the Amazon store card is now offering 5% cashback and I shop a lot on Amazon"

LOL. That was my last reset of the garden start date. And stupid too because I had just canceled it in December, and Synchrony would not let me reopen a closed acct and made me re-app.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 47 of 53
Boragard
Established Contributor

The easiest way to garden is to not log onto this website.  The longest I have been able to garden was 5 months & that was because I did not log on here for 5 months.

Message 48 of 53
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

I just recently stepped out of the garden after 2 years.  I am right back in the garden now. It has helped me to stay in by freezing all my reports. This is because anything you app for once those reports are frozen is deliberate and requires thought.  I can't just walk in a store and app for a store card for a discount. I can't just app for anything. I have to lift those freezes. Most times before I lift the freeze, I find it's not worth it to me or it's something I don't really need.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 49 of 53
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@onstar wrote:

1. It's impossible. Not true

2. Those who claim to be in the garden for over 30 days are lying.  Not true

3. #2 above might not be true, but keep telling yourself that it is true. True

4. App knowing that #1 is true. Um, not sure what this means

NOTE: I've been gardening since December but I'm still a seedling. Because every few weeks, I keep leaving the garden for a few minutes. Supposedly unintentionally.

I say get cards when they suit your needs/have amazing bonuses. For some that'll be more frequently than others. 

I left the garden after almost 7 months for 100K American miles and 50K Avios. That was worth it to me.

Message 50 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.