cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to survive an Amex Financial Review?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to survive an Amex Financial Review?

@syeb wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

People that think you are paying yourself interest for taking out a 401k loan are confused!

yes you may technichally be paying yourself 5.25% interest on money borrowed but you are LOOSING 5 years of compounding interest on your entire portfolio... not to mention to pay UNSECURED DEBTS is just CRAZY TALK!

If OP needs a solution outside of regular payments to the credit card which by $80k in 16 months looks like a yes, you should both enter a credit counseling firm and pay them over 5 years and get the debt gone at near 0% and then you won't be robbing your 401k and you will still come out with prestine credit in the end.

Don't touch a 401k... don't do it don't do it!

With all due respect I believe you are very mistaken with this advice which should be characterized as "Crazy Talk". Yes CC balances are unsecured debts, but at extremely high interest rates, and the OP does not indicate the BK is an option, nor should it be in this situation. Unsecured doesn't mean that you don't have to pay. It just means that it is not secured by assets.

So assuming he wants to pay off the debt, borrowing $50k from a 401k and paying himself interest at a minimal rate, would save tens of thousands in interest for that portion of the debt, over the 5 year timeframe. Talk about compounding! And the interest that he does pay will be to his own retirement.

The only drawback from a 401k loan in this sutiation is the fact that if he leaves the job it would need to be paid in full or be treated as an early distribution.

Even a credit counseling firm cannot bring all rates to zero 0 they will generally get them between 2% and 10%. So overall, he will come out ahead with the 401k loan, especially considering he is paying interest to himself.

And yes a 401k loan is the most underused, incredibly useful option for getting out of CC debt around - assuming the employment is secure. Do touch it! Do touch it!

you are crazy if you think that the 401k loan will come out better than doing debt counseling at 2-10%!!!!! CRAZY!

Message 41 of 51
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

AND if something financial terrible happens after you have taken the 401k loan and end up having to file bk anyway, now you have lost that 401k money that was protected against BK.

DONT DO IT!

did we learn nothing from 2008 when people kept taking 401k loans thinking they could keep their home and get out of credit card debt and ended up pennieless and with no home and still bk! don't touch protected money to pay unsecured unprotected debt like credit cards

Message 42 of 51
syeb
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

you are crazy if you think that the 401k loan will come out better than doing debt counseling at 2-10%!!!!! CRAZY!

AND if something financial terrible happens after you have taken the 401k loan and end up having to file bk anyway, now you have lost that 401k money that was protected against BK.

DONT DO IT!

did we learn nothing from 2008 when people kept taking 401k loans thinking they could keep their home and get out of credit card debt and ended up pennieless and with no home and still bk! don't touch protected money to pay unsecured unprotected debt like credit cards

Sorry I disagree.

A 401k loan will carry a lower interest rate overall than credit counseling, it will be paid to himself, will not be reported as open debt to CRAs, and will lower utilization thereby perhaps heading off any further credit line decreases. It will enable the OP to pay off a large portion of the balances, providing some much needed breathing room. It provides the automatic payments by being withheld from payroll automatically.

Credit counseling will result in all of the covered cards being closed - thereby killing both utilization for a long time and average age of accounts forever.

A bankruptcy does not seem highly likely in this scenario and we generally do not plan to file and walk away from our debts. The OP seems to have a plan to pay of fhis debts and a 401k loan should be a very viable part of it.

Message 43 of 51
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@syeb wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

DONT DO IT!

Sorry I disagree.

A 401k loan will carry a lower interest rate overall than credit counseling, it will be paid to himself, will not be reported as open debt to CRAs, and will lower utilization thereby perhaps heading off any further credit line decreases. It will enable the OP to pay off a large portion of the balances, providing some much needed breathing room. It provides the automatic payments by being withheld from payroll automatically.

Credit counseling will result in all of the covered cards being closed - thereby killing both utilization for a long time and average age of accounts forever.

A bankruptcy does not seem highly likely in this scenario and we generally do not plan to file and walk away from our debts. The OP seems to have a plan to pay of fhis debts and a 401k loan should be a very viable part of it.

1. closed cards do not effect AA negatively... they report for 10 years!

2. I don't know about you but my partners ROTH Averaged 17% return last year... so if you pay yourself 5% on the loan but loose 12% a month x $50k... you can see the compounding is EXTREMELY against your 401k loan!

3. Are we worried about credit score or getting out of debt... OP clearly doesn't need anymore credit because if there is another job loss they will be bk rather they like it or not.. if the goal is to get out of debt, then you do it the fastest and cheapest and until op actually talks to a credit counseler and gets the rates that they would pay in the program it's not fair to say it will be up to 10% and that taking a 5% loan against yourself not talkiing about the interest you would actually earn if the money stayed in a 401k might be more expensive by itself.

Message 44 of 51
syeb
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@syeb wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

DONT DO IT!

Sorry I disagree.

1. closed cards do not effect AA negatively... they report for 10 years!

2. I don't know about you but my partners ROTH Averaged 17% return last year... so if you pay yourself 5% on the loan but loose 12% a month x $50k... you can see the compounding is EXTREMELY against your 401k loan!

3. Are we worried about credit score or getting out of debt... OP clearly doesn't need anymore credit because if there is another job loss they will be bk rather they like it or not.. if the goal is to get out of debt, then you do it the fastest and cheapest and until op actually talks to a credit counseler and gets the rates that they would pay in the program it's not fair to say it will be up to 10% and that taking a 5% loan against yourself not talkiing about the interest you would actually earn if the money stayed in a 401k might be more expensive by itself.

1. I am referring to the decreased credit line resulting from closed cards affecting utilization. This is a fact, not an opinion.

2. Past performance is not a guarantee of future returns. We are talking about a guaranteed savings vs. a potential gain.

3. Decreased credit availability and account age will affect the OP long after he is out of debt. So we are thinkg both of the present and the future.

Every financial planner I know is predicting an extended period of very low absolute returns in the market. So again, a hypothetical gain against a guaranteed savings. I have gone through a full 5-year credit counseling program and creditors vary exactly as I said - from 2% - 10%. Once I realized that I could take a 401k loan, I did and paid all my remaining balanced early. I assume my case was not completely unusual.

I can understand your point about a bankruptcy, where the credit card debt would be discharged but 401k funds would be safe. I agree that in that scenario it would be better to not have taken the 401k loan. But there is every indication here that the OP is committed to paying off his debts, and again we do not consider bankruptcy as an option ever unless in extreme cases. Considering both the OP and his wife have decent jobs, even if one were to lose the job, a judge may not even agree to discharge the debt so it would result in a payment plan in any event.

Sorry got to go. It's been nice discussing this with you. Hearing both sides may be enlightening for anyone reading this, and a good financial planner will consider all options. With that level of debt the OP should definitely have a financial planner.  Have a good weekend.

Message 45 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you really value and USE the amex card id say don't pay the 3k to keep your limit at 20k. If I'm not mistaken you said you use the card for groceries right? If so, I'm pretty sure that 6k they lowered you to would be MORE than substantial for your monthly grocery and even gas spending. OP, if I may ask a question. Do you own a home? If so, I'd say put you "credit" on the back burner and focus on paying off your debt. I'm sure the CLD will lower your scores a bit because of UTI but if you own a home, I wouldn't really care about my credit at this point (because you already have what most people need good credit to get). If I were in your shoes I'd focus on..... A. Covering my living expenses without using credit. B. saving C. Throwing any extra money after A and B at my debt. I can understand the need to have good credit but at this point in your current situation, trying to maintain "good credit" would just be causing you more money. Plus, if you do indeed do this, once you pay off you debt or a significance portion of it your score will jump back up and you'd still have the cards you have now, although some might have gotten a CLD, you can always ask for and CLI. I wouldn't be thinking about a AMEX review right now (that'd be the last thing on my mind) I'd focus on just paying off my debt.
Message 46 of 51
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If you really value and USE the amex card id say don't pay the 3k to keep your limit at 20k. If I'm not mistaken you said you use the card for groceries right? If so, I'm pretty sure that 6k they lowered you to would be MORE than substantial for your monthly grocery and even gas spending. OP, if I may ask a question. Do you own a home? If so, I'd say put you "credit" on the back burner and focus on paying off your debt. I'm sure the CLD will lower your scores a bit because of UTI but if you own a home, I wouldn't really care about my credit at this point (because you already have what most people need good credit to get). If I were in your shoes I'd focus on..... A. Covering my living expenses without using credit. B. saving C. Throwing any extra money after A and B at my debt. I can understand the need to have good credit but at this point in your current situation, trying to maintain "good credit" would just be causing you more money. Plus, if you do indeed do this, once you pay off you debt or a significance portion of it your score will jump back up and you'd still have the cards you have now, although some might have gotten a CLD, you can always ask for and CLI. I wouldn't be thinking about a AMEX review right now (that'd be the last thing on my mind) I'd focus on just paying off my debt.

The reason I took the whole CLD seriously from Amex (as opposed to Citi) is that this was the last major line of consumer credit I had to wasn't near the limit.  Again, this was because my wife had been out of work for 16 months until 6 weeks ago.  What I was afraid of was that a serious CLD on my account would set my credit line from 80% used to nearly 95+% which would trip a domino effect with credit card vendors either with further CLDs or interest rate hikes.  That might have cost be further money and grief and made paying off the debts that much harder.  Again I would have rather have put the $3K I paid to Amex toward other cards (especially Discover and US Bank which have my worst interest rates) but in the long term, it won't matter that much and hopefully keep the ship sailing while we reel in the debts.

As for the rest of your advice, my wife has already drawn up a new budget reflecting our current situation so we can account for everything in cash flow, save kids summer camp fees which we get back through flexible spending accounts through work.  What's left over goes to the snowball.

Message 47 of 51
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Sevenfeet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The reason I took the whole CLD seriously from Amex (as opposed to Citi) is that this was the last major line of consumer credit I had to wasn't near the limit.  Again, this was because my wife had been out of work for 16 months until 6 weeks ago.  What I was afraid of was that a serious CLD on my account would set my credit line from 80% used to nearly 95+% which would trip a domino effect with credit card vendors either with further CLDs or interest rate hikes.  That might have cost be further money and grief and made paying off the debts that much harder.  Again I would have rather have put the $3K I paid to Amex toward other cards (especially Discover and US Bank which have my worst interest rates) but in the long term, it won't matter that much and hopefully keep the ship sailing while we reel in the debts.

As for the rest of your advice, my wife has already drawn up a new budget reflecting our current situation so we can account for everything in cash flow, save kids summer camp fees which we get back through flexible spending accounts through work.  What's left over goes to the snowball.

unless you miss multiple payments no one can increase your interest rate... we did away with that with credit reform act.

Message 48 of 51
theram4

I definitely agree with the advice to borrow from the 401k. Yes, if you had done this during last year, you would have missed out on some gains. The S&P rose around 13% last year, compared to the ~5% that you would be paying on the 401k loan. But the correct comparison to use is to compare to the interest rates. If you are paying 20% interest on your credit cards, paying 5% to a 401k loan is a no-brainer. 

The one and only concern with doing a 401k loan was already mentioned. If you lose your job, you must pay back the 401k loan in full within 60 days, or the IRS will characterize this as an early distribution, and you will have to pay taxes + 10% penalty. But if you believe your job to be reasonable secure, then by all means, go for it. This is the right solution.

Starting Score: 531 (11-5-2012; MyFICO)
Current Score: 531
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 49 of 51
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Sevenfeet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

unless you miss multiple payments no one can increase your interest rate... we did away with that with credit reform act.

Forgot about that.  That's useful to remember.

Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.