Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to treat a new AMEX BCE

tag
Slab
Frequent Contributor

How to treat a new AMEX BCE

I received my AMEX BCE a little over a week ago and have charged on it 1 time and paid it off because the statement closes on the 21st. Once the new statement starts I will charge more and pay it off before the statement closes. They gave me a pretty good credit limit and I plan on asking for a CLI after it is 61 days old or later. I am carrying a 2% balance on one of my other cards. To get the best possible CLI, should I pay off the 2% balance which is on a Mastercard and have it report zero or is AMEX mainly interested in the way I am handling their card? 

As far as the way I would use the AMEX BCE is charge amounts of $30 to $200 or thereabout several times in the billing cycle and pay each charge off a few days later when it posts. Does this seem like the appropriate way to approach this for a good CLI? Also, I see a lot of reference to the 61st day after the account is created. Does it matter if I request the CLI later than the 61st day? 

If my plan is flawed, please let me know of a better course of action. Thanks a lot.

Equifax FICO 781, Transunion FICO 821, Experian FICO 807,

810 goal on all three by 3-1-2015
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: How to treat a new AMEX BCE

No flaws, just too much thought. Relax. AmEx will be watching everything (just like everybody else) but pays particular attention to what you do with their card. Use it. Pay it when due (or pay before the statement posts if you will be seeking more credit in the near future). AmEx does not seem to care if you let it post or pay before it posts. They do like to see usage, or that's what I have experienced. If I used a card heavy and had to pay multiple times a month because I was approaching the limit each time I seemed to get the full 3X CLI on those cards. 

Feel free to request a 3X CLI anytime after 61 days, that is your call. Waiting longer has no bad effect. 

Message 2 of 14
chnceit
Valued Contributor

That is a good plan, the more you charge then pay off the better your chance IMO. This will also raise your internal score in turn will give you a better chance in a higher CLI at 61 days. 

The minimum days to request a your first CLI for AMEX is 61 days - non less. But you could request a CLI beyond the 61 days. After that its 6 months on all AMEX accounts.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 14
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

No flaws, just too much thought. Relax. AmEx will be watching everything (just like everybody else) but pays particular attention to what you do with their card. Use it. Pay it when due (or pay before the statement posts if you will be seeking more credit in the near future). AmEx does not seem to care if you let it post or pay before it posts. They do like to see usage, or that's what I have experienced. If I used a card heavy and had to pay multiple times a month because I was approaching the limit each time I seemed to get the full 3X CLI on those cards. 

Feel free to request a 3X CLI anytime after 61 days, that is your call. Waiting longer has no bad effect. 

Great advice! I do tend to over think and stress. I think it has to do with the dark days of No credit cards.

Message 4 of 14
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

That is a good plan, the more you charge then pay off the better your chance IMO. This will also raise your internal score in turn will give you a better chance in a higher CLI at 61 days. 

The minimum days to request a your first CLI for AMEX is 61 days - non less. But you could request a CLI beyond the 61 days. After that its 6 months on all AMEX accounts.

Thanks a lot for the info Chnceit. Do you know if the CLI is a soft or hard inquiry?

Message 5 of 14
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Anytime! Its an SP for all the CLI I have gotten from AMEX.

Message 6 of 14
Slab
Frequent Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

Anytime! Its an SP for all the CLI I have gotten from AMEX.

Great! Seems like AMEX is a good company to have on my side. The AMEX BCE will be my last card for quite soom time. It has made my card collection complete and you people on the forums have been so helpful over the last couple of years. Thanks a lot.

Message 7 of 14
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Oh yes AMEX is a great company! Threat them well and they shall do the same!

Message 8 of 14
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Just to the OP is aware: many have reported receiving 3x CLIs (me included) with only minimal spending on the card. There is no reason to go break the bank to show 'usage', IMO. Charge what you normally would and pay it off before the due date. That's pretty much how I did it, and it got me a $9,000 increase.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 9 of 14
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah...
Just give it good usage !!!!
Here's my approx bal history, and i've received two 3xcli.
Month1 : bal $200 pd 200
Month 2: bal 563 pd 563 cli'ed from 3500 to 10500
Month 3: bal 3200 pd 500
Month 4: bal 3400 pd 750
Month 5: bal 3700 pd 370
Month 6: bal 3900 pd 800 cli from 10,500 to $24,500

On average, I've paid about 50% of my balance.
NEVER pay the min w Amex, that will get you denied for cli fo sho.
Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.