Did you mean: 

How to treat new AmEx

tag
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: How to treat new AmEx

@ficojoe wrote:

@armbenderc wrote:

I enrolled in autopay and make bi weekly payment for my Amex Green card. I always PIF before statement cut (don't know if this will help). I also have multiple checking accounts listed on payment center with them. Smiley Surprised

I do not like the idea of autopay when I do not know the amount. Is it possible to use autopay as a safety net? Perhaps set it for the minimum payment in case I forget to PIF?

Does having autopay make you look better to AmEx?

I enrolled in autopay, but it will never get to that point since autopay will pay your statement balance on the day of due date. I paid my card semi weekly or before the statement cut.

if the statement cut is 0 balance, autopay is 0. You will never have to worry about it if you PIF before it cuts.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 21 of 30
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Even billionaires eat fast food.

Don't sweat it; if Amex wants to ding me for a recent weekly Chick-fil-A dinner, or the occasional breakfast at Carl's Jr on the way to officiating a soccer match, we'll I am absolutely confident that Chase would be willing to accept my business.

End of the day money spent through an Amex is money spent through an Amex... And what it is spent on is second, possibly a distant second at that.

        
Message 22 of 30
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@ficojoe wrote:

@TheConductor wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

Amex likes LARGE charges and LARGE payments =)

pretty much if you look like you need it, you'll get it.

They seem to not only bucket people by risk, but by lifestyle...and both of those factor into what you get when you Check Spending Ability.

Yesterday I used the card for a $1.50 to buy a hot dog and $3.50 at Jack in the Box. Does that put me into a crappy lifestyle bucket? Smiley Happy

Seriously, should I not charge some things so I get in the right bucket?

I also spent $300 online and bought gas...

As discussed in this thread yesterday, it's more about patterns than isolated expenses. As Revelate said, just live your life and spend the way you would normally spend. It's not something to get paranoid about.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Based-on-CCC-What-are-your-thoughts/td-p/1696582

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 23 of 30
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 24 of 30
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@TheConductor wrote:

@ficojoe wrote:

@TheConductor wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

Amex likes LARGE charges and LARGE payments =)

pretty much if you look like you need it, you'll get it.

They seem to not only bucket people by risk, but by lifestyle...and both of those factor into what you get when you Check Spending Ability.

Yesterday I used the card for a $1.50 to buy a hot dog and $3.50 at Jack in the Box. Does that put me into a crappy lifestyle bucket? Smiley Happy

Seriously, should I not charge some things so I get in the right bucket?

I also spent $300 online and bought gas...

As discussed in this thread yesterday, it's more about patterns than isolated expenses. As Revelate said, just live your life and spend the way you would normally spend. It's not something to get paranoid about.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Based-on-CCC-What-are-your-thoughts/td-p/1696582

Agreed. When I first got my Amex, I was a little paranoid about using it. Now I just use it for my everyday spending pattern and have had no issues. I think that more than anything else, Amex likes to see stability. Establish your normal spending pattern with them and you should be fine.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 25 of 30
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Just use it and forget about it. I've never had AA on my accounts.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 26 of 30
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

After reading that forum, I am wondering if I will end up with a FR since I got my AmEx the same day I got about 5 other new credit cards. So, when they soft me, they will see 6 new trade lines... 

I was shocked at the approval since I have 22 inquiries, all since July of this year.

Message 27 of 30
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ficojoe wrote:

@TheConductor wrote:

After reading that forum, I am wondering if I will end up with a FR since I got my AmEx the same day I got about 5 other new credit cards. So, when they soft me, they will see 6 new trade lines... 

I was shocked at the approval since I have 22 inquiries, all since July of this year.

Unlikely.  FR's are usually triggered from someone spending more than what Amex thinks they could reasonably afford.  They aren't Barclays Smiley Happy.

        
Message 28 of 30
RonDawg
Contributor

@cranston3 wrote:

DW and I use our car for everthing we can, from 35 cents bag of sugar to a 5k medical bill. 

I always PIF but to get there I make multiple small payments each month. 

Never had any problems or issues. 

Exactly... Never a problem

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 29 of 30
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Just Re: How to treat new AmEx

The best thing to do is establish a spending pattern.Once Amex knows your spending habit, it will be no problem. I have charged $1 for coffee and have charged $65 in Whole Foods Market. I use my Zync for almost everything. It's been two months that I have been spending, on average, $1,100. I remember when I first got my ZYNC, Amex placed a hold on my account the second week of use. The reason? I used my card three times in a day. I didn't even knew my Zync was on hold until the next day. I couldn't charge anything. I then got a call from Amex identity protection to verified that I made the charges on my account the day before. I told the rep that I did and she lifted the hold. Now, I have used my card 3-4 times on some days, and no problem. The charges goes through. Develop a spending habit, and you won't having Amex doing a FR on you or whatnot.

If, by any chance, you are planning charging something out of your normal pattern, just call Amex up and inform them. I did that last month when I had to take my Golden to his vet. I even informed Amex that I have a pet insurance for my dog, and they will send me a reimburment in the mail in two weeks; so they need not to worry that I won't be able to pay the bill at the end of the month. They were totally okay with that.

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.