Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Amex Rewards optimally

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to use Amex Rewards optimally

I know I've asked this question before, but just want to get a refresher and some new information if at all possible. 

So my question is, how should I use my rewards optimally? I have a Delta and PRG which I just met both spending requirements for the bonuses. 

Should I transfer the Delta points to the PRG or the PRG to the Delta? I hope to take a flight someday in the next year to the Caribbean if this helps and may consider a cruise if the points justify it on the PRG. So please just give me any info you guys can. No answer is a bad answer. Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to use Amex Rewards optimally

@Anonymous wrote:

I know I've asked this question before, but just want to get a refresher and some new information if at all possible. 

So my question is, how should I use my rewards optimally? I have a Delta and PRG which I just met both spending requirements for the bonuses. 

Should I transfer the Delta points to the PRG or the PRG to the Delta? I hope to take a flight someday in the next year to the Caribbean if this helps and may consider a cruise if the points justify it on the PRG. So please just give me any info you guys can. No answer is a bad answer. Smiley Happy 

For one, you can't transfer your Delta points to the PRG or any other point system.  They are with your Delta mileage account and will remain there until you use them, transfer them to another person or they expire.  As for your PRG points it's impossible for us to tell you what to do with them.  Look at your potential trips, where you might fly from, stay at, etc and then review the transfer partners for the Amex MR rewards program and then decide.

Message 2 of 6
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can't move Delta points to PRG because they are miles not MR points.  In addition, you would need to tranfer your MR point to Delta for miles not your card.

Delta devaluation makes it poor for transfers.  I transfered some of my points to BA Avios before devalue and used them on short American Airline hauls.  Short hauls for BA Avios are going up from 4,500 to 7,500 points under 650 miles after 2/16.  I would await for another transfer bonus for Avios.

For me Delta is useless as a transfer partner because to the cost of using miles.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry just realized I can only transfer from PRG to Delta. But here are some more details, I plan on flying out of chicago or Indy to the Caribbean (doesn't matter what island). I wouldalso consider flying to a shipping port and going on a cruise if it makes sense financially and points wise. But whats the list of transfer partners for the Delta program? I see Avios mentioned above for a bonus, is there any other partners that provide bonuses for transfers?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry just realized I can only transfer from PRG to Delta. But here are some more details, I plan on flying out of chicago or Indy to the Caribbean (doesn't matter what island). I wouldalso consider flying to a shipping port and going on a cruise if it makes sense financially and points wise. But whats the list of transfer partners for the Delta program? I see Avios mentioned above for a bonus, is there any other partners that provide bonuses for transfers?

You need to sign into your Amex account and go to the rewards section and review the list of transfer partners for MR points.  In reality you should have done your research  prior to applying for the cards but too late for that.  Research flight options out of the cities you listed and see if the Avios or other airline partner wil be useful.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need to be super blunt about that. I know I should have done a little more research, but I got in with Amex and that is a big enough accomplishment for a person my age. But thanks for the information still, you've helped me out a lot on my posts in the past and even this one. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.